Author Topic: spiaral blades  (Read 1091 times)

Offline cliveg

• View Profile
spiaral blades
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:56:41 pm »
is it me or do spiaral blades not fit properly do i need to bend them to fit properly iam new to them
had a little play and thinking there gunna be hard to use on inside peices any tips would be great as iam thginking there gunna be slow

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: spiaral blades
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:38:26 pm »
Mike sells a new style spiral that has flat ends.  I don't like spirals but I have seen on other forums where they take a hammer and an anvil and flatten the ends.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:45:42 pm »
You may have to "open up" your blade clamping screw a bit wider to insert the spirals but when you tighten the clamp they will twist slightly and seat correctly.
If you decide to try the 'flattening' technique remember that pounding tempered metals with a hammer on an anvil will remove the temper and make the blades subject to premature breakage.
So gently 'tap' the blade ends with the hammer to take out some of the 'twist'.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ChuckD

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:36 pm »
While I am watch TV, (educational shows only, of course) I have a needle and a regular pliers and a clamp from my machine.  Twist one end so you have a flat end, loosely attach the clamp on that end, just tight enough to stay on.  That will show how the alignment is on one end.  Then do the other end and align the end to the clamp.  It takes less time to do it than explain it.  Or you could waste time in the shop doing the same thing.  Good Luck

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:57:51 pm »
The Olson spiral blades I have came with flattened ends which are slightly out of alignment, I keep a pair of needle nose pliers handy to poke them into the top clamp after installing them in the bottom clamp, they seem to straighten some after use and are no problem after that (other than breaking so easy, (for me at least) I suspect they spring back some after being twisted to form the spiral at the factory. Just the nature of the beast. FD has the flattened end spirals too.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Waddawood

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:12:22 am »
Unfortunately the FD flat ends seem to have to be untwisted some too.  Of course that's no fault of Mike's.  I also use the needle nose and regular pliers to untwist them.

SMF

Teknoromi