Author Topic: my process seems flawed...  (Read 3676 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
Re: my process seems flawed...
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:52 pm »
I think I may try that glue stick stuff too- couldn't hurt!!!
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 10:04:08 pm »
i use adhesive label paper over masking or painters tape with know problems. no more mess with spray glue or tack time just peel and stick simple and easy!!

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Waddawood

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 10:56:19 pm »
For what it's worth, using a spiral blade also causes lift so that's why I draw or trace the pattern right onto the wood.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 12:57:01 pm »
I use a cheap spray adhesive and have some pattern flapping sometimes.
what I find is that it also matters what kind of wood I use.
for example, when i use red cedar the pattern doesn't stick very well. also the painters tape comes of relay easy.
on good sanded pine it holds much better.
next to glue, I sometimes use clear tape over the project, mostly with stacked cutting.
the problem then is next to the pattern flapping, the sawdust gets between the pattern and the tape so I cant see the pattern line......
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

cutter1

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 12:54:49 am »
Even though I'm just starting out, from reading here I use the 77 glue also and to take it off real easy I hit it with carb cleaner on the pattern. soaks right through and no glue left on the wood. break cleaner works as well. Keep in mind I'm not using expensive wood just poplar and pine stuff to practice on.

ShadowB6

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 10:57:08 am »
For me I use the Elmer's craft spray glue and saturate it. Wait 5 seconds and then apply it to the wood. But I found I have to let it set into the wood for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting. To remove it I use a heat gun and it peels of perfect. This is what works for me.

Mike

Vince

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 08:32:33 am »
     I use Blue tape on the wood (Comes off easy) and 3M 77 on the pattern. I've done this for a LONG time, I have not used the Green tape yet. I use tan tape so I can see the pattern, on a double cut pattern. I make a LOT of roses and everything is a compound cut on those. I'm about to try many other types of flowers. Cutting these I just glue the pattern on the wood, everything I want is on the inside of the wood.

Vince
Winter Park, Fl
Near the Mouse House

Offline woodworker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 08:55:16 am »
i buy rolls of the clear sticky backed stuff that you buy for covering books or shelves with,you can buy it in kmart or similar places,5m rolls .it lasts a while and i just cut it to suit the pattern,stick it on the wood.then 3m spray to stick on pattern.with the smaller offcuts ,use them for smaller pieces and you get full use out of the roll,when finished cutting it peels off leaving no residue----dave

cherie

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 03:30:01 pm »
I too have learned to use the 3M77 adhesive spray.  I also apply a heavier coat was a few seconds and apply to the painters tape.  I have also found that the older the glue is, the less sticky is gets.  I tried the glue stick thing for awhile, but when my work sits for long periods of time before i can get to them, the glue no longer holds.  If I am working on a project that will sit for a few days or weeks, the 3M77 works great and stays put!
Just my thoughts.

SMF

Teknoromi