Author Topic: my process seems flawed...  (Read 3678 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
my process seems flawed...
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:43:59 pm »
I cover the wood w/blue painters tape, spray pattern w/glue (Elmer's craft bond spray adhesive) , attach pattern to tape after about one minute, use clear packing tape to cover -  my problem is half the time the pattern lifts off the blue tape and I'm struggling to hold the pattern so I can follow the lines. Is it the glue? I've tried attaching it after 15 sec. and up to 3 min. but I often get the same "pattern flapping" :-\ :-\ :'(
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: my process seems flawed...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:56:50 pm »
It sounds like it is the spray glue you are using.  I am noticing more and more that there are different strengths of bonds that you can get.  I would think that with using this method, you can use a "strong" bond or even a "permanent" bond and you will be more successful with keeping the pattern in place.  I use Elmer's spray adhesive which is a temporary bond and sometime it just decides it doesn't want to stick.  I find myself respraying the pattern after vigorously shaking the can for a few minutes.  Perhaps I didn't shake it enough initially.

In any case, try the stronger bonding sprays and see if that will help.  Good Luck!  Let us know!

Sheila :D
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

yankeebum2

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:12:14 pm »
I have noticed this in the past also. In my case it was heat. I had a light source that was giving off to much heat causing glue have a weak bond.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 01:22:50 pm »
I haven't always had good luck with spray glues, so I switched to glue sticks. Just the cheapest  craft/school glue sticks I can find (I stock up during the back to school sales)

If yankeebum is right about heat causing a problem, I would think that the heat created by the blade cutting would also cause the pattern to lift.
MrsN

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 01:32:16 pm »
I use 3M #77 spray adhesive and have never had a problem.
This particular adhesive is not the cheapest but it was developed for attaching the headliners in autos and is one strong bond!
Even when applied directly to the wood itself it is just a matter of spraying it with Mineral Spirits and it lifts right off.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 01:47:11 pm »
I agree with GrayBeard.  The 3M77 is great. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline kimb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:04:18 pm »
I use the 3M77 too. I spray a real heavy coat directly to the pattern and stick it on immediately. Press it down good to remove all bubbles and let it set for a little while. I have not had a problem with the pattern lifting since I started doing this. I stick my pattern to the wood and I keep some mineral spirits in an old windex bottle and just spray a liberal coat and let it set about 5 minutes and the pattern peals right off in one piece. I guess a lot of people don't like messing with mineral spirits so they use the blue tape, but I think it's quicker and easier to use the mineral spirits. But everybody needs to try different methods and just do what works for you.

Kim

cameronj

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 02:16:36 pm »
I agree about the 3M adhesive, too.  That's what I have used for years.  I also attach the pattern directly to the wood, and don't have much problem with residue.  Eventually, you know how much to spray on.
The only time I have a problem with the pattern lifting is if I leave the pattern glued on the wood, but don't cut it out within a few weeks....then the corners will start to lift as I am cutting.  Then I spray on a tad more and problem solved.
Jim

Offline kimb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 02:26:21 pm »
Hey Jim. I used to have that problem too with the pattern lifting after it set awhile. I just started spraying a heavier coat of glue to start with and now I don't have a problem. I do take a rag with some mineral spirits and carefully wipe away any residue that is left.

Kim

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 02:41:16 pm »
use adhesive paper. It's so much easier and so much cleaner.

regards
Torsten

marmoh

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 04:42:09 pm »
3M #77 ... spray, set for a few seconds, apply and wipe over to remove air bubbles...

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 05:40:54 pm »
I like the 3M idea, we have a plant near here, I'll have to talk to a few employees I know, maybe I can get a deal ;D, Thanks for all the help.
Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »
I'm with Mrsn on this, Tape, cheap glue stick (not the dollar store stuff).

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

ChuckD

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 06:47:29 pm »
If you are using Blue Tape over the wood, why are you waiting before you are setting the pattern on place?  The wait is to make the Glue "tacky" so it will come off the wood easier but you are not putting it on the wood so at least lay it down NOW!!  I am also a fond user of 3M77 Spray.  But It don't come off windshields very good.  Don't ask.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 07:21:37 pm »
3M-45 general purpose spray adhesive on blue painters tape. No problems. About $6 at local hardware store.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi