Author Topic: Question re downloading patterns  (Read 1044 times)

Wandascroller

Question re downloading patterns
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:05:15 am »
I have been absent for a while. It has been so wet & then hot in between that I havn't done much scrolling over the summer. Then had computer problems which are hopefully solved now. The hard Drive was too full & now have a second one 4 X as big:) I deleted a lot of programs to make room on the hard drive so it would work. Think I have deleted the program I need to download patterns from Steve's Blog. I have tried to download a couple of patterns & all I get is a blank page. What have I done wrong? What program do I need?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Question re downloading patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:23:59 am »
You need a program that will let you view, save and print .pdf files (Portable Document Format) There are several of them you can use. One of them is Adobe Reader. Just do an Internet search. :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:17:00 am »
The one I use is a much 'smaller' program and also free on the internet.
Not nearly as bloated as Adobe Reader and totally compatible with all PDF files.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/addons.php

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:54:24 am »
Hey Barbara, Welcome back, It's good to see your smiling face again! I use Adobe Reader for pdf files.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:28:06 pm »
Welcome back from the cold.
I'm with GB Foxit reader is awesome, as GB said nowhere as bloated as Adobe Reader.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Waddawood

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:25:01 pm »
What do ya'll mean by bloated?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:32:03 pm »
Bloated -
when referring to software means that there is more in the program than is really necessary to do the job and it generally slows down the process and adds unneeded stress to the processor.
The program may also include other 'sub-routines' that do other things than that for which the original program is actually intended.
Adobe Reader has also been found to have some 'security holes' that allow malware, Trojans, ad-ware, etc, to enter the machine thru PDF files.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Wandascroller

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:01:17 pm »
Thankyou all for your help & welcome back. Its good to be back. Problem was that I needed to download the latest update of Adobe reader :) I had been declining the upload offer when it came up with other things as there wasn't any space left on my hard drive. Now have 160gb plus the original 40gb :)

SMF

Teknoromi