Author Topic: Jointers  (Read 1128 times)

Bill P

Jointers
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:44:32 pm »
I need to get a benchtop jointer.  I have local choices of a Delta, Craftsman, or Porter-Cable.

Any advice?

Thanks, Bill

Mainewoods

Re: Jointers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:08:11 pm »
The only advice I can give is - buy the best you can afford -  I have no experience with any of those jointers.  I do own the Porter Cable planer, which for my uses works just fine.  I'm guessing their jointer is probably about the same quality, so for once in a while use, it'll probably work great.  

I have noticed a lot of heavy duty jointers listed on Craigslist just here in Maine, all at very reasonable prices, so you may want to give that a try too!

Not much help, I know, but, I tried!  ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:11:30 pm by Mainewoods »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Jointer's
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 01:17:59 pm »
Bill, Chances are all three were made by the same factory in China. So probably any of the three will work. With that said, I would recommend a full size 6" or 8" jointer. Now I know your shop is in a shed, and you don't have room for a full size jointer, but if it where me, I would make the room!
With a jointer, you are limited to about twice the length of the table size to the board you are jointing. So the longer the table, the longer the board you can joint.
I have my 6" Delta jointer on a Mobile base, so I can roll it around if I need to.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:29:44 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

chief

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:15:27 pm »
I have a 6" Craftsman benchtop joiner.  Dont waste your money on the benchtop model.  Save up and buy a floor model with the longer bed, it does a better job of cleaning up the edges and flattening board faces.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:18:43 pm »
I have the 6" Delta bench top jointer. It has a totalof 30" bed. (infeed/ outfeed) It works fine for smaller projects but, as said before, when you get to boards longer than 50", it is useless. I don't have room for anything larger either.
I just bought a bench top planer (De Walt 735) and LOVE IT!! So all I use the jointer for is getting close with one flat side and one edge at 90 degrees and then drag out the planer for thickness and use the table saw to rip the other edge to get 4s lumber.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Bill P

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 08:05:15 am »
Well, the lack of space, and my desire to get a good jointer and not repeat the problem I just had, made me put this off for now until I can expand the shop.

I've purchased a Freud glue line rip blade.  That will do me for now....I hope.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Bill

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 05:31:58 pm »
Although it doesn't really replace a jointer, a router table can be easily set up as a jointer and has many other uses as well.  To use it as a jointer, just adjust the outfeed side of the fence slightly further forward than the right, then adjust the fence so that the bit takes off the same amount of wood as the offset between the two sides of the fence.  If the outfeed side of the fence is not separately adjustable, then adhere a piece of laminate or something thin to that side of the fence.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

chief

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 07:39:54 pm »
Sears has a 6" benchtop jointer that has a marble top.  The nice thing about it is it wont warp and it is very flat.  They can get marble/granite flatter than cast iron.  It also makes it nice and heavy to help dampen vibration.

SMF

Teknoromi