Author Topic: Oscillating Spindle Sander  (Read 6459 times)

ShadowB6

Oscillating Spindle Sander
« on: April 15, 2011, 05:34:40 pm »
Canadian Tire this week has their Mastercraft Spindle Sander on sale for half price. I've never used one and thought I'd probably never need one. But with it being half price and I have a further $50 in Canadian Tire currency means I'd get it for about $40.

For those of you that have experience with this type of sander, would this be a worthwhile addition to my workshop? What projects do you do with this type of sander? Many thanks in advance. The sale is on until April 21st.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:38:47 pm by ShadowB6 »

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Oscillating Spindle Sander
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:45:54 pm »
I love my Spindle Sander, I use it all the time. I use it to sand and shape all sorts of things. I have a combination belt and disc sander, and use the spindle sander way more. I find it more convienent to use the spindle sander for small projects. It also feels a bit safer then fingers close to the belt sander, there is a little more control.

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:07:47 pm »
I have a combination disc and belt sander but I use my Ridgid oscillating spindle sander a lot more as I can sand small pieces without injuring myself and it is handy in contour sanding. I just love it and would not be without one.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:09:18 pm by campasano »
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Bill P

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:09:51 pm »
I ditto everything Mrs. N. and Mike said.

Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 06:10:00 pm »
I have a Delta BOSS spindle sander. I don't use it often, but when I do, It is indispensable. I use it for any kind of contour sanding. Inside curves, outside curves and the like. You can use it to shape Intarsia pieces.
For the price, I would go for it!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:40:13 pm »
I have three spindle sanders a BOSS, a Ridgid and a Enlon. I had a Ryobi, which was a piece of junk, that I replaced with the Ridgid. 

It's a toss-up which I use most, the Spindle Sanders or the Drum Sanders.

I wouldn't be without any of them. For Intarsia work they're almost a necessity.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 06:56:09 pm »
I have had the Ridgid combination and after about 8 years we moved and I messed up the threads on the spindle.

Even after confessing my sins they replaced the machine with their lifetime warranty.  I think the new machines come with a 3 year warranty.

I love mine and have used it for all sorts of projects and would not be without it in my shop.

Don

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 10:53:09 pm »
I have the Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander.  I've had it for about 5 years and couldn't do without it.  I also have a Rikon belt/disc sander and it does not get the workout that the spindle does.

chief

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 10:54:44 pm »
I have the Jet OSS and love it.  It definitely does not get used a lot, but when it does it is the only tool for the job.  It comes in real handy when making scrollsaw bowls.  It also is nice for sanding any type of curved wood piece.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 07:44:51 am »
I am with the rest of the group.  I have the Rigid and I love it.  Once you have it you will wonder how you got along without it.  ;)

Enjoy! Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 08:18:55 am »
Like you, I thought I didn't have enough use for one until I bought mine (from HF) Now I use it all the time.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 03:36:18 pm »
I bought a spindle sander from Harbor freight when they were on sale, and I find it works great, I use it for all different things.  Edward

dankc908

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 09:54:52 pm »
I have several sanders - all different types.  My oscillating spindle sander is my favorite and the one I use the most!

RWEC

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 11:03:19 am »
I have both a General spindle sander and a belt and disc. Both get used and what I found was that once I had the spindle sander things that I had been doing a different way now became much faster, easier, and more accurate.

I'd jump on it.

Randy

ShadowB6

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 12:02:24 pm »
13 replies and everyone has told me that they love their spindle sander. So I went out this morning and got the one on sale at Canadian Tire. Out of pocket expense to me was $42.15 for a $205 (taxes included) sander. Not a bad investment. Now I just need to learn what to use it on. My belt/disc sander always did what I needed it for. I liked the one response however that it is useful when making bowls. Another new project for me to get off my wish list.

Many thanks to everyone who answered my question. You made this decision an easy one.

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi