Author Topic: What Scrollsaw you use?  (Read 12003 times)

cornishpisky

What Scrollsaw you use?
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:24:38 am »
Just curious what Scrollsaws everyone uses, there are so many on the market, some good, some not so good, so why not tell us about your saw/saws.

I'll start the ball rolling..

I started with a Hand Fretsaw about 24 years ago, hard work.. then i bought a cheap Clark 16" Scrollsaw, it served it's purpose but not a saw i would recommend though, now i use an old Walker-Turner J782 Scrollsaw thats around 60 years old, it's a lovely old saw to use, blade changes are a little slow by modern standards but still much faster than the Clark, i made a table for it from 3"x2" pine and 3/4" Baltic Birch Ply, altogether very heavy but very stable.

So what saw do you use?

Ian

kp91

Re: What Scrollsaw you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:00:12 pm »
I've got 2 Delta Q-3 saws,  love 'em.

Marshall

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:27:00 pm »
My old Craftsman 16" V-S that I more or less use for fine detail sanding , and of course my great production saw the Dewalt model 788 saw that had opened up my scroll World in so many ways and fashions .........Marshall   ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:07:16 am by Marshall »

shissta

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:52:14 pm »
Ryobi 16" at the moment.  Looking to upgrade to the Dewalt 788 very soon.  Pretty new to scrolling but love every minute of it.

jabak

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 02:53:15 pm »
I use Hegner variable speed multicut 2s with 18" throat and 2 5/8" thickness capacity as my shop saw and the smaller Hegner Muticut 1 Variable Speed with 14" throat with 2" thickness capacity for transporting to craft fairs ect I find these are more than suited to my needs

Joesawdust

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:58:02 pm »
Hitachi cw40 for the last 1 1/2 years, probably 100+ hours and no problems. Not a bad saw for the price. Been saving my pennies for either an Excalibur or Dewalt.  Right now someone has plenty of Hegners on Ebay, just to pricey for me, right now.

Greg

cherie

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:05:00 pm »
Mine is a Shopsmith.  One day I hope to acquire an Excalibur or a Hawk.

ljfrompa

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 04:21:42 pm »
mine is a cheap craftsman my hubby bought for $99 on sale.
16" and variable speed.

i'll get a more expensive one some day but this one works fine for now :)

ufgator

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 07:38:30 pm »
Delta Model 40-560 Type II.  This is my first scroll saw and it is teaching me alot. Between it and this Forum I'll know what to buy next time.  Given some time and a little more money I'll be ready to move up.

Happy Scrolling
      Bill

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 07:41:58 pm »
my first one was a craftsman for a few years, after it broke I upgraded to a dewalt 788 just over a month ago.

northie66

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 07:44:24 pm »
Dewalt 788... and I just love it  ;D

ripchief

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 08:43:55 pm »
Dremel 1680...Not happy with it...Looking to upgrade (beyond Dewalt) after getting some bills taken care of.

At the time that I bought it, I was severely undereducated about scroll saws and only used it for a couple of things...Although, I did know enough to know that there were plenty of other models available that were not as good as the Dremel...Since then, I've read enough information, talked to enough people, and used it enough to realize that it has a few shortcomings that I probably wouldn't have with some of the other (better) models that are currently available.

Recommendation: Do your research...Find a saw you like within your price range that meets your minimum needs...Then, if at all possible (if not, just wait), buy what you think is the next better saw that's available...You might be more satisfied later...Just don't go too far overboard.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 10:17:56 pm »
I started on a Dremel. I now have Two DeWalt 788's. ;)
Dan In Southern California

KENINLEX

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 10:25:15 pm »
I've had a 16 in Craftsmen for several years now. It still works ok but felt time to upgrade. I just picked up a used RBI220 vs for $400. I've done a few test patterns and really like it. I'll be heading back to Lex soon and look forward to moving the Creftsman out and the RBI in.
Upward an onward.

Ken

daneklund

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 11:59:30 pm »
I started with a Delta Q3 and now have an Eclipse.  Love the saw.

SMF

Teknoromi