Author Topic: Old VS. New  (Read 1908 times)

Tim2beupinAz

Old VS. New
« on: April 10, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »
This is a wagon pattern I like so I cut it when I first began cutting about 2 years ago. I decided to cut it again to see how much I have improved since then. I cut the first one on 1/4 inch cedar with a spiral blade. I learned to cut with a spiral blade first????? But it worked for me. The latest one I cut with a #1 FD-UR blade on 1/4 inch oak. I like this blade the most when cutting now. Hope you enjoy and please comment. Thank You Tim.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Re: Old VS. New
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 01:21:58 pm »
Hi Tim....There is a BIG improvement over the two.  The BEST one is using the FLAT blade.  Both look really good, but this is my opinion.  Hey I never got used to the spiral blades.  Later  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 02:00:12 pm »
in about 2 years you improved alot the new cut is better.then again you said you used spirals on the first one so it would be quite a difference i'm not much for spirals myself.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Bill P

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 03:01:20 pm »
Tim, I think they're both very good, but you can see a definite improvement from when you began.  Now, don't get me wrong, if you did the first one when you just started out, with spiral blades, you started with a great talent already.  You're obviously building on a great foundation, so to speak.

I like the crisp turns with the flat blade, most obvious when you compare the two cuttings and look at the wheel spokes.

Thank you for doing that and sharing it with us.

Bill

CNLNC

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:18:06 pm »
I too think that both are great, but the second one does look alot cleaner and crisper when it comes to the cutting. Awesome job on both pieces, I think you have definetly improved over the years.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 05:43:35 pm »
Tim, As has already been said, they both look very good. The second one defiantly has sharper corners, especially on the wheel spokes.
Good job on both.
Dan In Southern California

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 07:53:42 pm »
I would find it very difficult to choose one over the other. I would be proud of both.

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

bluesuede

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 08:35:58 pm »
Tim, I think you have done a magnificent job on both cuttings, kudos for using a spiral on the first one...
Bruce ;D

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 08:37:16 pm »
They are both great!

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 08:55:24 pm »
Tim your skills have really improved my friend.  You have done very well on the wagon.  Thanks for showing us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Tim2beupinAz

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 06:50:06 am »
In all my hast to post this I forgot to mention all the help EVERYONE on this blog has been. I have learned so much from all of you, from looking at your cuttings, to reading all your post on technique. I have to say with all the help it is still practice that makes you better overall. But the guidance and knowledge I have received from everyone is priceless. Thank You

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 07:07:29 am »
Looks awesome, Thanks for posting.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 07:30:05 am »
They both look great.

Mainewoods

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 07:39:36 am »
Nice work.  That second one definitely shows the finer cuts attained through skill and practice and the effective use of flat blades.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 08:39:21 am »
Both works were very well.
Congratulations

SMF

Teknoromi