Author Topic: I am Just Wondering....  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
I am Just Wondering....
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:30 pm »
This is about the ones of us that uses the foot switch....
I have NEVER had the foot switch and I have been mostly standing up doing all my Scrolling....Until bout three months ago....In which I started sitting down in a VERY comfortble chair with the saw on a lower table.  Well here's the question....  After three months I find my RIGHT foot always In the upright position between changing from one intry hole to another.  Its like the heel is on the ground and the toes are up in the air just waiting for me to complete the change and begin again.  LOL  Yea!  even tho I sometimes think about it and RELAX my foot I mostly ALWAYS am doin this.  Is anyone eles experiencing this minor thing?  Later....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Bill P

Re: I am Just Wondering....
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:32:39 pm »
I use the on/off version, not the "dead man's" but I get what you're saying.  That's funny.

Bill

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:37:13 pm »
Danny, there's a reason your toes are up in the air. It doesn't work very well if you're changing blade holes and scroll saw starts. I've only heard this from a friend never experienced it myself!
Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:38:59 pm »
Hey Danny, I don't use a foot switch. I still use the old unreliable switch on my DeWalt saw. I find I usually have both feet resting on the cross member of the DeWalt stand. I sit on a bar stool so my feet rest there comfortably.
As far as the DeWalt switch, I know how to keep it working so that is not an issue.
Dan In Southern California

bluesuede

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:58:57 pm »
Danny, I have been sitting for about a year now, got tired of cold feet but I used a foot switch even when I stood. I have the switch on a milk crate(my foot stool) and sometimes have the same problem but like you said, once you realize you are doing it you try and relax your foot until the next time you catch yourself doing it... 
Bruce ;D

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:27:59 pm »
I don't use a foot switch, most of the time my feet rest on the cross pieces of the stand. Sometimes I will bring a knee up to my chest and rest my chin on my knee.
I have been thinking of getting a foot switch since I switched to my Hegner saw, the switch is in a different spot and sometimes I forget how to turn it off.

Chachi

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 09:41:21 pm »
I use the dead man switch and Had found myself doing that as well so it must be a "SCROLLER THING" because we are the only one's who understand it lol

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:51:02 pm »
I'm not going to admit that I've ever done that bbbuuuuuttttt, I have noticed that the calf mussels in my right leg are stronger than in my left leg. Ha Ha Ha  Ha Ha

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 01:35:58 am »
I spent ten bucks for the foot switch from Harbor Freight, the Delta has the controls under the left side of the table, and I wasn't comfortable with that. It was ten bucks well spent, if a blade breaks or comes out of the clamp, I automatically jerk my hands away and my foot off the switch. You have to hold it down to cut, and it shuts off as soon as you lift your foot. I find I hold my other foot up like the other guys, and I think it is a tension thing, I have to consciously relax my foot, then I realize I'm tense elsewhere too, so I stop and get up and walk around for a few minutes to relax, then go back to the saw.
I can look up the model number for the switch if anyone wants to know. They have 2 models.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 11:00:24 am »
Thanks for ALL of your input.  I guess it is a Scroller sort of thing.
Mrsn....Our Hegner on/off control switch is not in a easy position to turn it off real quick.  Tried it and didn't care for it.  Now our Hitachi's on/off switch is in the PERFECT position.  Yes?  Sometimes I wish I had of kept mine.  Oh well another scroller has it now.  And Oh the Memories of putting my feet where ever I wanted while cutting.  Thanks again gang....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 12:13:57 pm »
I agree that the Hegner switch is located in a funny spot. It is hard to find in a hurry. I really have been thinking of trying a foot switch, after reading the posts I think I will put that higher on the to-do list.
I loved the location of the switch on the Hitachi, front and center. It was so easy to turn on and off. My Hitachi is still mounted to my work bench, I use it from time to time.

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 10:51:03 am »
dgman... how do you keep your Dewalt switch running?  I just replaced mine.

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:49:04 pm »
Have the foot switch for my DeWalt fastened to the front to back cross piece of the stand. I also sit on a bar stool with my feet on the sideways cross piece, with one foot on the gas pedal.
I keep the switch covered with packing tape.
Pat B

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 02:03:24 pm »
I use one of these foot switches that is built into an expension cord. Switch  is press for on and press for off. I attached the switch to a piece of 1/2 plywood about 6X6 inch in size then I plugged the saw, a light and an old fashioned electric clock into the plug-in. This works very well for me and I can time my cutting on a project. ;D
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 04:33:02 pm »
dgman... how do you keep your Dewalt switch running?  I just replaced mine.
The reason the switch on the DeWalt saw fails is wood dust gets into the contacts inside the switch. I keep a dusting brush next to my saw and when sawdust accumulates around the switch, I dust it away. If the switch fails, I blow out the switch with compressed air. If that does not work, I tap on the side of the switch housing to clear away the dust. If that does not work, I carefully take the switch apart and clean out the dust from around the contacts, then reassemble. I have never had to replace the switch.
The remedy to this would be to have a sealed switch so dust doesn't fall into it.
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi