Author Topic: Finishing Pine Suggestion  (Read 886 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Finishing Pine Suggestion
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:38:27 am »
Hi Steve.
I was just reading some of your posts on your blog, and one of them asked about finishing pine and the difficulty of applying stain evenly.

One way I know of from wood shop so many years ago, that I have used to enhance the appearance of common pine or fir, and others.

You are going to thump your forehead. LOL

Use a small butane torch and lightly char the wood until you get the effect that pleases you. remember to keep the torch moving to prevent burned spots. Especially good for "rustic" projects.
Many of those butane torch kits have a wide angle torch tip like this  < , this should be the tip of choice.
It can be done with the tip designed for soldering but that requires a light touch to prevent unsightly burned spots. If you have never tried this, test it out on some scrap material. I recommend doing this outside, or your smoke detectors may go off, safer out there too especially if you are careful and don't do this in an area that a fire could be started in! "Elementary my dear Watson."  :)

A plain piece of wood can be converted by scorching it heavily around the perimeter shading toward the center, which frames and draws the eye to the details within. Visualize a wolf or eagle treated this way. Good for those irregular shaped pieces that defy framing. I've learned the best frames focuse the eye to the subject rather than drawing attention to itself.

Then finish with the clear finish of your choice, I usually use a semi gloss or satin. Gloss won't give the same effect and you may have problems getting an even look over those areas scorched the heaviest as they will absorb more.

I'm really enjoying your site and forum. I've met some great friends here and am amazed by the support shown to all that need it.
I hope this is helpful.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

bluesuede

Re: Finishing Pine Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:27:02 pm »
Gabby, that is some good, sound advise, thanks for sharing...
Bruce ;D

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:44:55 am »
Bruce I'm glad you found it useful. I originally was just going to send it to Steve as a private
e mail and a thank you, but decided to post it here for all to see and share and it ended up a tutorial. I hope others find it useful as well.
Y'all know I can't say thanks with just one word when a whole paragraph will do.  LOL  ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Chachi

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:30:02 am »
Gabby thanks for the Idea I forgot all about that may need to try it again it has been a Long time since I did it in woodshop at school....

marmoh

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am »
Y'all know I can't say thanks with just one word when a whole paragraph will do.  Gabby

Amen to that  ;D ;D ;D

SMF

Teknoromi