Author Topic: It's already starting again  (Read 2755 times)

Waddawood

It's already starting again
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:36:10 pm »
None of these designs have been bought...but

CNLNC

Re: It's already starting again
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:40:02 pm »
Charlie, sorry for my ignorance, "BUT" what? I don't follow.

Waddawood

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:54:18 pm »
I posted examples of my designs and the ones shown in the pic have never been purchased, but found them on a supposed friend's website as cuttings.  Once in a while I know more than one designer uses the same photo to make patterns but 3 or more at once?  I don't blame everyone, just kinda hurts.  It's why I stopped selling patterns not long ago, but trying not to punish the good folks for what the bad ones do. It just means I need to make my thumbnails smaller.

CNLNC

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:59:13 am »
Sorry to hear people are using/borrowing/stealing your patterns without paying you. You would think that with so many free patterns out there, obviously not as good as yours, they would either grab the free ones or pay for the ones they couldn't live without.
Good luck figuring out a better way to protect your patterns.

Offline tazman4647

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 01:12:32 am »
sorry to hear Charlie might have to write your name across them or the word sample so they don't steal them
Wade

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 01:27:05 am »
I posted examples of my designs and the ones shown in the pic have never been purchased, but found them on a supposed friend's website as cuttings.  Once in a while I know more than one designer uses the same photo to make patterns but 3 or more at once?  I don't blame everyone, just kinda hurts.  It's why I stopped selling patterns not long ago, but trying not to punish the good folks for what the bad ones do. It just means I need to make my thumbnails smaller.

Charlie I sent several web addresses to Cliff, that should help with copy protection. Did he get them and check them out? I know there are protections that can stop thieves from stealing your copy protected images.
That is the only way I know of to protect your patterns from theft. GB or Russ, any suggestions?
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

pauley555

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 06:58:02 am »
hi Charlie, i think your resolution is to high also,as i copyed image and blew it up with still good detail,i have deleted file now as i don't steal others work,and can understand your anger in this matter.regards paul

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 06:59:43 am »
This sucks Charlie!!! >:(  This constitutes stealing in my mind! >:(  Your work is outstanding and I'm sure takes you a good deal of time to accomplish.  Wish I knew of a way you could protect your "merchandise" better.  Like you said, make the thumbnails too small and too low a resolution to be useful to anyone!  Once you find a happy medium on the size and resolution, potential customers will be able to see enough to decide if they want the pattern or not.  I've bought patterns from Sheila Landry, Sue Mey and through Wooden Teddybear, and was easily able to see enough detail in the patterns to tell I wanted them.  If someone hasn't already suggested it, there is a way to not allow people to "save image as...", that may help in some circumstances.  Unfortunately, I don't know exactly how it's accomplished, or if it can even be done on Facebook.  Have you considered selling through Etsy?  Hope you can come up with something that will protect you!  Good luck!

tux_linux

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 07:52:01 am »
the resolution of your pics is much to high! turn them down, make them less size and less dpi.

Also will this be always a problem for picture patterns. those are simple to copy. YOu should try to disable right-clicks on those pictures, that would make it less easy to get them. But even this cannot prevent the theft.

regards
Torsten

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 09:29:57 am »
Very good idea.
It would be a shame to waste your talent.
But unfortunately not everyone has enough money to buy patterns, so we settle for the free patterns you upload.

bluesuede

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 12:02:23 pm »
Hi Charlie, I have also right clicked a few of your photos to view them in my pic program. After viewing they were deleted from my computer as viewing was the sole purpose of right clicking them. I agree with everyone that you should make them smaller and perhaps a lesser quality so they won't be easily copied and made into patterns. It's a darn shame that it has to come to that but don't get discouraged, you'll figure it out... I can see why people would want them as they are probably the best around, IMHO, but that still doesn't make it right...
Bruce ;D

Bill P

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 09:40:34 pm »
Charlie, I just went to your site to see what was going on.  Stop using Photobucket!  I just clicked on many of your images and was given the option to copy them to my computer just by holding my mouse on the image.  It wasn't even a case of right-clicking.  I put #67 on my computer (I've deleted it, I swear), ran it through Corel, and have a perfect 8x10 pattern in less than 2 minutes, and I'm computer illiterate.

Bill

sbudinger

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 02:58:16 am »
Thats a b!?$h Charlie, your work is to good to have someone ruin it for those who appresiate it enough to know its worth the small price for the rights to cut it. Hope you get them.

ups34

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 05:06:31 am »
The problem is there is Bad people out there to copy what ever you do. Some look at it as a challenge to copy .

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 11:46:31 am »
Charlie,
you really have to stop putting your work on insecure web sites without protection. As long as you do, your stuff will be treated like found money laying in the road. Get help from someone who knows how to put those locks in place. Otherwise it can all be taken just like a jar of free candy in a Doctors office. If it's out there where it can be taken, it will be. I showed you that it was too easy to steal your patterns. It's up to you to protect your property, or find someone who can handle it for you. Real small thumb nails of low resolution helps, but it it is set up to click and show a larger image, that is where it gets taken because it usually is done at a higher resolution in order to increase the size. I copied and sent some of your work to you just so you could see how easy it is
You can't expect the folks on this or any other forum or blog to be able to help you, most of us don't know how to do anything about it, and it's going to take an administrator who knows what he's doing, and has the time to do it.
Get help Charlie, your designs are too good and valuable for you to let people steal from you.
As it is right now you are handing them the keys to your car and then wondering why they took it without even saying thanks. Some may say I'm being mean, I'm not, I'm trying to be your friend.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi