Author Topic: pricing  (Read 1858 times)

Bill P

pricing
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:36:09 am »
I just took a couple of chess pieces to work to show a co-worker what I was talking about (he couldn't grasp the concept of compound cutting).  One of the owners of the place saw them and ordered a set, with a board.  This first one is a gift, so I never gave any thought to price, but I told him $250 and he agreed.  What do y'all sell chess sets for, if y'all don't mind my asking.

Bill - who's working on his southern drawl

ArtCrafters

Re: pricing
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:38:46 am »
Bill,

I have not sold chess pieces, so I can't help there.  But this transplanted Minnesotan will never have a southern drawl.

Denny in TN

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:55:53 pm »
I'd say at least $350.00  That is only $10.00 per piece plus $30 for the board.  It's not like you can stack cut....LOL
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 02:28:05 pm »
I've made 3 sets - two were gifts and the third went into a gallery - it sold for $850.00.  It was a Notre Dame set with board.  Lots of inside cuts.

Bill P

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 03:07:52 pm »
$850!?  Holy poo-poo!

Bill

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 03:24:38 pm »
That gallery sold my stuff for WAY more than I did.  They kept 30%.  A standing puzzle I sold for $15.00 - they sold for $45.00.  It was fun while it lasted but he closed a few months ago.

I went in another gallery the other day and someone there is selling Sue Mey's story crosses for $275 - $350.00.   Location - location - location.

Bill P

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 03:32:18 pm »
The cross pictured here sold for $50 at one location and a woman offered me $5 at another.

Bill

Bill P

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 03:33:25 pm »
Good point, Dunk.  Can't retract at this point, but I'll keep that breakdown in mind for the next time.

Bill

marmoh

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:00:31 pm »
Dang Bill, I'll give you $5.50 cash for it right now !!!!
I sure hope you didn't sell it for that price  :o :o  Did she at least keep a straight face when she offered that pitiful amount ????

Bill P

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 04:09:38 pm »
She was dead serious.  I just smiled and said something like, "No, that's okay."  Ended up taking an offer of $40 because I was closing that booth down.

Bill

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 05:10:34 pm »
Around here, that is at least a $50.00 cross.

thumbs

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 05:33:02 pm »
I just love those Wal-mart shoppers with a cheap attitude.. They have no idea what it takes to complete our art work--I wasn't as nice to one customer at one of the shows I did-- I was selling rubber band guns for $7.50 and had sold quite a few. this guy comes up and said they were not worth the money but he would give me $3.00--A kid was going by just then and I ask him if he would like one of the guns. He said "sure" so I gave him one and told the guy I would much rather give it away than sell him one for any price--he called me an assh--e and stomped off. At least the kid was happy  Richard aka thumbs :'( :'( :'(

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 06:07:19 pm »
Richard!!!  That sounds like something I would do! Only I would have been the one "Calling"!

The three pieces that I donated to the silent auction last week inspired one of the ladies so much she contacted the organizers for my name and phone number and we have a date for next Wed. to select "some" pieces from my pattern selections and she will agree to whatever I wish since she thinks the other ones were so nice! NO frames necessary...she has a friend in the framing business!

It is all in they eye of the buyer! If they are used to seeing crap all the time that is all they want to buy.

Gotta find me a willing gallery!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 07:44:08 pm »
This is all very interesting reading, I am glad I logged on tonight and stumbled across the posting. I hope to create a retirement income from the craft, however I am worried that it cannot be done. So far I am not covering costs. Like someone said there are people out there that appreciate the work that goes into a piece. How do you get at these people?
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 07:51:52 pm »
If you find a foolproof way keep it to yourself and sell the idea.
Others will pay dearly for that information.
And your retirement will be secure!
Most have tried and most have failed to date!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi