Author Topic: Olson spiral blades  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Olson spiral blades
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:50:27 pm »
Yesterday while shoping for spray adhesive and painters tape, I checked with the clerk and found they carried a few blades, and had some spiral blades. $8.99 per Dozen.
Braveing the chilly wind in my carport, I decided to try them out. After breaking 2 of them in less than 15 minutes of experimentation. I was completely disgusted with them. I found they were prone to bending quite easily as well. I was not forceing or pushing them but rather taking it quite easy as they were a new item.
The upshot of all this is I'll NEVER  buy any more of their product.

Flying Dutchman or nothing!!!!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Olson spiral blades
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:36:27 pm »
Hey Gabby, I use both Flying Dutchman and Olsen Blades, and both have their merits. But I hate the Olsen spiral blades. I don't use spirals often, but when I do I use the Flying Dutchman NS blades.
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:58:55 pm »
I use olsen blades, but mostly straight ones. I have a  hard time getting the rigt tension on the spiral blades, and when the tension is off they break. I never thougt of tryinga different brand, I just figured it was what spiral blades did.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 01:25:30 am »
If I remember right, Mike has them for about 3 bucks a dozen plus postage so for a couple bucks more I can get 2 dozen of the FD blades. I paid $8.99 for one dozen and would have burned enough gas to have them shipped half way across the country by post office.
I'm a believer.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 06:44:55 am »
It is Flying Dutchman or nothing for me too!!!  ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:28:57 am »
I use FD's and Olson.  Spirals are all about the tension and the pressure of the wood you are passing through it.  They do take some getting used to.

For all you newbies out there who are buying blades at the hardware store - DON'T DO IT!  You will pay between $1.70 - $3.90 for premium quality blades throught someplace like Mikes workshop or Seyco.  They ship fast and are always helpful. 

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:21:10 am »
Being a portrait person I use a lot of spirals. FD New Spirals (2/0) are my mainstay...just got a gross from Mike for the start of the coming season!

Gabby...Spiral Secret! Fast saw, Good Tension and SLOOOOOOW Feed!
When I read your comment I thought over the month of December when I did so many projects and I can only remember breaking one blade out of the four dozen I went through.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ArtCrafters

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:35:41 am »
I started out using Olsen blades.  Switched to FD mostly because of the Service.  Mike is great.

Denny in TN

Joesawdust

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 07:20:35 pm »
www.sloanswoodshop.com also has good prices on Olson blades. When I use spirals I use the flat end ones, they are a lot easier to insert in the clamps

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 05:03:45 pm »
www.sloanswoodshop.com also has good prices on Olson blades. When I use spirals I use the flat end ones, they are a lot easier to insert in the clamps

I couldn't help but notice when inserting the Olson spiral that the ends were skewed about fifteen degrees (dontcha just wish the would put a degree symbol on the darn keyboard?) and pretty hard to put in the top clamp after it had been clamped in the bottom first. I had to use needle nose pliers to align and insert the top end in order to clamp it.
I'll wear out / break the rest of the Olson spirals in practice, then get the GOOD ones.
GB thanks for the tip, I'll try to remember that. Was it saw fast, sloppy tension & push the feed?  LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

KYCustomScroller

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 12:49:24 pm »
I LOVE THE SPIRAL BLADES FROM MIKE BUT IM HAVING A BIT OF TROUBLE FINDING ONES THAT ARE FORMED THE SAME DIRECTION ON THE ENDS TO TIGHTEN UP GOOD IN MY SAW BUT OTHER THEN HAVING TO BEND THE ENDS OF THEM THEY ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTT BLADES...LOL

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 02:35:22 pm »
Gabby you can add a degree symbol.
Hold down the "alt" key and type in on the number pad 0176 ?  See!
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

wardch

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 08:13:13 pm »
Dunk,  Never knew that.   Thanks.

cameronj

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 09:38:50 pm »
Well everyone,  I have never tried Flying Dutchman blades...I don't think they are sold here in Canada.  But I just checked out Mike's site that you all rave about, and was very happy to see that he would send me some sample blades.  I expected something like that to be available only in USA!

I used to use below standard blades, and am able to get Olson blades here in Ontario.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:41 am »
Gabby you can add a degree symbol.
Hold down the "alt" key and type in on the number pad 0176 ?  See!

OK dunk I'm going to try it. It got up to 60? today. I got it to work but I'm not sure how so far can't do it again, I guess I'm a little larnnen repaired.  LOL

Had a good day practicing put in about 3 hours working on a fretwork EARLY train one where the engineer stands on a platform at the back of the engine, and the coaches look like stage coaches.
Larned something too!
Steve and mrsn make it look so easy, but the part that doesn't come across, is how lightly they hold and feed the wood to the saw. I was holding DOWN like it would jump over the moon, which caused a bunch of tension, twern't fun neither, I wasn't able to tell how the blade was cutting since I was putting all that pressure, down, forward, and sideways.
Once I loosened up and relaxed I was even able to swing 90 deg. and more without stopping or breaking a blade from binding. Too cool!
One of these years if I live long enough, I may get the hang of this itty bitty saw.  ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi