Author Topic: poo-poo happens  (Read 1164 times)

Bill P

poo-poo happens
« on: March 19, 2011, 02:53:50 pm »
First, let's see if the subject title gets past the editor.   :D

I was just talking to a neighbor (not the one I scared away) about the chess set I'm making.  I went into the house to get the pieces and brought them outside to show him.  The idea is to make them out of walnut and maple, for the greatest contrast.  Well, out in the sunlight I could see a problem I didn't see inside my shop; it appears I've cut 6 pieces out of dark oak, and 5 out of walnut.  There's not enough of a contrast to make them the 2 different sides of the same set, and they're too different to use them for the same side.

I'm a firm believer in "do it right or don't do it at all" so now I'm going to set the 6 oak pieces aside for some future set.

Mistakes happen.

Bill

P.S.  Russ, feel free to change the title if you need to.   ;)

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: poo-poo happens
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:17:13 pm »
I agree with you 200 per cent.  I would do the same thing you did. As painful as it is sometimes, if I find something that I am "just not that happy with" I change it.  It makes some pretty fancy firewood sometimes, but I hate that feeling of knowing that I could have done something better. 

I can't wait to see the finished set!  It will be awesome! :)

I don't think you will regret your decision.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:49:08 pm »
try to keep thinking of it as seed for your next chess set. It will help, although oak does make some tasty smores :)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:55:05 pm »
Hey Bill, Don't give up yet, Put some mineral spirits on both woods to see how they will look when finished. It may not be as bad as you think.
Dan In Southern California

Bill P

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 04:38:23 pm »
Good idea, tried it, but it's too much of a difference.  That's okay, I'm a step up on the next set so there's no down side to this...now that I've taken the time to think about it.

I do like the idea of smores, but I'll use the scrap for that.   :)

Bill

cameronj

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 05:48:37 pm »
I agree with your decision, Bill.   If you try and use the pieces, you know you won't be happy with the outcome.
Hang in there.....the finished product will be worth it.
Jim

Offline 34natl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:16:30 pm »
I agree with you too Bill. If something is not right or come out the way I wanted it to,it goes in the burn bag.
Mike

cherie

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 12:19:27 pm »
Besides, not to sound like a smart alex or anything, POO POO is not a bad word.  After all...we all have to poo poo.  LMAO.

Dawie

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 01:35:45 pm »
As you say these things happen. At least you are seeing the bright side of things.
David

SMF

Teknoromi