Author Topic: Tsunami, etc...  (Read 1216 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Tsunami, etc...
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:37:58 pm »
Here in the Midwest USA we live with two major threats.

First we have the nickname "Tornado Alley".

Second we sit right on top of "New Madrid Fault" which spawned the horrendous earthquake that many years ago caused the mighty Mississippi to reverse its course and flow north and shifted its channel to the extent that our state had its easternmost boundary changed. The quake is said to have been strong enough to cause churchbells to ring as far away as Boston!

Throw into the above mix the constant threat of flooding from the Missouri and Mississippi rivers!

Now...do we huddle in our basements and go out only for essentials?
NO, we go about our daily lives just as everyone everywhere does and people everywhere live under some kind of 'threat'.

IF you live in constant Fear, you are not TRULY LIVING!

There are those much more 'religious' than I who often say, "God will not send you what He will not help you through".

Not a bad way of looking at things.

~~~GrayBeard~~~

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Chachi

Re: Tsunami, etc...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:52:38 pm »
<Insert Clapping Smiley here> WTG GB I could not have said it better myself I stand behind you on this one 1000% GB.....

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 04:22:04 pm »
but I'm still glad to live in Europe, where we do not have those threads.

Europe has the Alps on a line west/east. Experts say, that's why we do not have tornados. The US has the Rockys - "mounted wrong" in a south/north direction.

But in a small area sight: Here in Munich they are building houses where the river was supposed to flood fields when to much water is rushing through. That's no good idea ether.

regards
Torsten

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 04:32:23 pm »
DO NOT get me started on people who live in 'flood plains' and insist that they continue to live there!

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:12:53 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Chachi

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 05:00:18 pm »
I love those folks GB.... You Just lost everything you own what are you going to now? "were going to rebuild we like it here" "you been flooded out every year for the past five years don't you think it is time to move?" Nope Nope we Like this area so we will just build it better this time" LMAOOO! you gotta love those people.

Dawie

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 06:00:28 pm »
Well said GB. The only thread this little country has is if our dykes brake there is suddenly going to be a lot less dry land in our little land. Thinking that our newest province is totally under sea level and protcted by delta works and dykes. But as a whole I have a fine place to live. and as you say one cannot stop living just because there is some thread hanging over you that might or might not happen today.
David

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 09:26:26 pm »
My, my, my, ~GB~  Let me get this straight. You admit to living in "Tornado Alley" and "Second we sit right on top of "New Madrid Fault" which spawned the horrendous earthquake that many years ago caused the mighty Mississippi to reverse its course and flow north and shifted its channel to the extent that our state had its easternmost boundary changed. The quake is said to have been strong enough to cause church bells to ring as far away as Boston! Throw into the above mix the constant threat of flooding from the Missouri and Mississippi rivers!"

But you continue to live there. So how can you admonish someone for living in a flood plain area when you live in "Tornado Alley" or on the "New Madrid Fault" and "Throw into the above mix the constant threat of flooding from the Missouri and Mississippi rivers!"

I live in Florida and if a hurricane blew it all down tomorrow, I will rebuild.

We all chose to live there because we love it and it is where we chose to call home. So floods, tornado's, hurricanes, earthquakes or what ever may come will not make a difference it is where we want to be or want to call home. I don't care where you live, you can have a natural disaster.

I love Florida and I am not going to move.  8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:54:18 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Chachi

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 09:32:20 pm »
So Russ what you are saying is if you lost everything to a flood or in a Hurrican you would rebuild? Crazy man just Crazy I would collect the check and Haul up to higher ground for sure.

Good Luck and stay safe it is comming that time of year again.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:47:22 pm »
@Chachi

There is no higher ground in Florida.  ::)  ::)  ::)

But Texas does get Hurricanes and I have survived the ones in Florida for over fifty years.  :o  :o  :o
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:07:49 pm by Russ C »

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:05:17 pm »
NO Russ...my problem is with those too stupid to realize that the same thing happens year after year after year...ad infinitum and they will not accept the fact that it is a 'predictable event'.

Hurricanes, Tornadoes and Earthquakes are on the converse 'Un-predictable Acts Of God' at least to the insurance underwriters!
Hence the separate 'Flood Insurance' policies that are REQUIRED when purchasing a home in a flood plain! U.S. FHA requirement!

And believe this!
IF and WHEN the 'Big One' lets loose on the New Madrid Fault there won't be enough left of St. Louis and its metropolitan area to recognize! All the 'older' homes built of brick and on stone foundations will be nothing but a very large burial ground because they will come down with the very first shake of a 9.0 Richter quake!
And the greater majority of the high rise buildings in the area ARE NOT earthquake-resistant as are those in Tokyo and we see what happened to a lot of them.

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:11:40 pm by GrayBeard »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 10:22:14 pm »
They call it "Tornado Alley" for a reason, and "the same thing happens year after year after year". They are all 'Un-predictable Acts Of God' . I will say if you live near a river build you house on stilts. That's what my uncle did who lived on the St. Johns River here in Florida. He lived there for eighty years and never had water in his house and survived all those hurricanes.  8)

I will admit if you put a mobile home next to a river, you are asking for it.  :o
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:25:58 pm by Russ C »

Chachi

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 11:23:20 pm »
Yes we do Russ and that is why I live so far away from the coast all we get here is the wins and heavy rains... Although I will say we keep are eye to the sky when it looks like a tornado may be hitting somewhere.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 11:54:20 pm »
So, Russ, you are lending credence to the notion that one who does not get out of the path of floods should at least have the intelligence to prepare for the 'inevitable results'. Stay there and you're going to get your fanny wet!

Build your home at ground level where it floods year after year and you will be rebuilding and repairing virtually every year. Stay there and you're going to get your fanny wet!

The river obviously always follows its naturally carved channel whereas the tornado has the entire atmosphere to call home and could strike anywhere within the entire landmass.

The comparison between the two lacks evidentiary justification and is thus not a reasonable hypothesis.

~~~GB~~~   

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 07:10:57 am »
 'Un-predictable Acts Of God'  are the evidentiary justification and the reasonable hypothesis is you can't control Mother Nature.

I just find you statements contradictory.

"Throw into the above mix the constant threat of flooding from the Missouri and Mississippi rivers!"

By your own words you live with that threat and yet you admonish others.

LOL, I feel like I am back in High School on the debate team.  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:23:44 am by Russ C »

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 10:42:56 am »
Was never on the 'debate team'.

But one of my best friends and I loved to 'argue'! It used to drive our wives absolutely crazy. When we would visit, Jerry and I would immediately take the opposite sides of an issue and then sit there and 'argue' all evening. Often each of us taking the very opposite of our true stand on an issue just to try and bring out all the points and see the 'other side'.

It is a shame that too many folks cannot 'argue' and must 'fight to the death' as it were to support their position and get all upset and angry.
They don't want to 'argue' ...they want to be 'right'!

To 'argue' is to LEARN and not to be "RIGHT".

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:18:47 pm by GrayBeard »

SMF

Teknoromi