Author Topic: The Best Blade to Use....  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
The Best Blade to Use....
« on: March 10, 2011, 04:04:16 pm »
I know you all say there is no Dumb question, but I am getting into a new phase of scroll projects.  Using 1/8" Baltic Birch Ply. 
     Is there a formula of which blade to use for how many is stacked?
My blade chart states to use a #5 or #6 (haven't even heard of a #6) for
1/2" wood.  I use FD blades and kind of want to stack 8 and the chart states to use a #7.  Wow!  My #7 is pretty aggressive.  Can't imagine cutting the tiny lil inside cuts with this.  Anyway I would just Love to hear all of your feelings.  Thanks in Advance....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Blade to Use....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:00:43 pm »
I've cut up to 6 pieces of 1/8" with a #5R but on really intricate cuts the bottom piece or two look a bit sloppy.
Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:13:46 pm »
with a stack of 8 with 1/8" I would probably try a number 5 and change it often. If the pattern was simple a number 7 would be easier. Depending on the project I migt do two stacks of 4, to make it easier.
I don't follow any type of formula for picking a blade. I use the feeling it gives me. However, I bet 80% of the time I use a number 5 of some sort.

cherie

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 06:28:09 pm »
I do not stack cut, but I do use an Untra reverse #3 from Mike.  Takes the place of the Olsen #2 reverse I used to use.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:33:58 pm »
Hey Danny, 8 layers of 1/8" makes 1". You can't make to intricate cuts in that thickness of wood. Not to mention Baltic birch is tough on blades anyways. So if I was doing a portrait with intricate cuts in it I would cut three or four stacked and use a FD UR 1 or 3 and FD NS 1 or 3 spiral blades.
Dan In Southern California

Mainewoods

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:06:04 pm »
I gotta agree with Dan on this.  I've been using the FD-UR's quite a bit lately and am pretty happy with them, but I wouldn't try to stack 8 thick and cut anything very detailed. ;)

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 03:32:41 am »
yeah, 8 Layers is to much do saw at a time. A stacked set of woods is much harder than a single piece.
Split the pile, make it 4 layers at a time. That's tough enough, and you can go with the usual SR#5 or a SR#3 for the small bits. I have UR-blades too, but I didn't get into using them really (yet!).

regards
Torsten

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:52:51 am »
A Big Thank You to all that offered advice.  I successfully cut a ornament that had 21 inside cuts.  Took your advice with stacking only 4.  Experimented with 8 on scrap and Yep bottom layer was not to good.
And after my experments and your advice it is and will be the FD-UR #5 for all over-all cuts.  Tks again....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

thumbs

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 07:16:30 pm »
Danny, not to sound like a smart a--, the best blade to use is a sharp one-- I am for ever using a blade too long  and all of a sudden I mess something up.. I keep telling myself to change more often but-- ------Richard aka thumbs

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 07:21:47 pm »
WATCH where the blade interacts with the wood! When it starts to bow a little bit ...IT is time to CHANGE!

Catch myself doing it all the time..."Oh well just one more cut!" then I'll change it!

WRONG...Do It NOW, Dummy! it is getting dull and it is CHEAPER than a ruined job!
Especially true of 'spiral blades' and portraits! They dull fast when 'stack cutting'!!!!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:23:19 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

cherie

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 04:55:17 pm »
YEAH... and never put on in backwards (does not work to well).

cutter1

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 10:29:56 pm »
Wow, I just learned a lot. Thanks all. still getting blades from Home depot. This is a great place!!

cherie

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 08:36:53 am »
Cutter, just a thought...check out mikes work shop.  I was converted from olsen blade to flying duchmen and really love the way they cut. http://www.mikesworkshop.com/

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 09:06:22 am »
Danny, I have done a lot of production cutting (1000 pieces) and have found that a stack of 4 or 5 of 1/8" is the most efficient.  I prefer 4.  Cutting more than that slows you down enough that you can get as many done with shorter stacks in the same amount of time and use fewer blades.  My rule of thumb when stacking is no more than 3/4" total.

cameronj

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 11:10:01 am »
I agree with Kepy...no more than 5 pieces of 1/8 bb in a stack.  There is too much damage and frustration.
Jim

SMF

Teknoromi