Author Topic: Wives  (Read 1112 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Wives
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:58:07 pm »
A recent pattern request and subsequent pattern by Grampa got me to thinking.     how many of you guy's wives are Quilters or sew for a hobby. My wife is a quilter and spends more money on fabric than I do in wood!
And for the married Lady's, is your husband a woodworker or crafter? Or are you into quilting?
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Wives
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:13:14 pm »
My grandmothers both tried really hard to get me into quilting, I have even made a couple of quilts but I just don't enjoy it like I do woodworking. The art teacher at my school is a quilter, she and I joke about how different the hobbies seem but both agree it takes a special person to look at a couple of pieces of fabric and see a whole quilt, or a look at a piece of wood and see the cool project it will become.
As for my husband, he loves welding and anything with an engine. He is always "tinkering" with something. Lucky for me he understands the need for new tools and supplies. He even bought me my scroll saw when I said "I want one, I don't know what I'll do with the stupid thing, but I don't have one and want one". Little did I know what it would lead to.

Chachi

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 10:33:10 pm »
Let's see Fabric, Patterns, Thread (for the 2 different sewers she has, Serger and singer) plus all the yarn she uses and the needles... Yep she spends way more on her's then I ever could on mine...   

CNLNC

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »
Mine is not a quilter, but is obsessed with Scrapbooking. She definetly has alot of stuff, so when it comes to buying tools, I have Cart Blanch (I think that's how you spell it). Every hobby I get into from wood to metal, fishing to poker, she is very understanding and supportive.

So,...let the sawdust fly ;D

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:37:53 am »
Those of you who have 'scrapbook fiends' take note.

It is very simple to make covers for them. I am now designing my fourth one for my son and his fiance' for their 'wedding memories'.

A couple sheets of p'wood, a pair of hinges and a pair of the posts and you have a personalized gift that will last a lifetime!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 07:54:46 am »
My daughter-in-law is an avid scrapper.  I have made several covers for her.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:22:43 am »
My wife is into machine embroidery.  I digitize the patterns for her and she does the rest.  For this year's Christmas gifts for her sisters we intend to combine efforts.  I will make recipe card boxes with a recessed oval in the top, and she will stitch out embroidered inserts to fit into the recess.  I think it will be a fun project.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 04:03:08 pm »
My wife crochets, quilts and makes jewelry from sea glass. She doesn't have a lot of stuff for these hobbies, so I don't push the issue on my end. 

cameronj

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 04:11:46 pm »
My wife has sewn ever since the kids were young.  They are grown up now.  She is doing alot of cross-stitching these years, and my 2 daughters cross-stitch as well.
It was her sewing that started my scrollsawing.  She was sewing dresses to fit on teddy bears for craft shows.  When she said she needed someone to make a rocking chair for a granny bear, my son said we could make one with a scrollsaw.  I said, "What's a scrollsaw".
What came from that, you can figure out, I'm sure.
Jim

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 12:42:51 am »
My wife is an artist with ADD she can't seem to stay with one medium. She has used different paints, crayon, pencil, markers, she likes ceramics now and using design on computers and is thinking about carving. She has done felting and other stuff I have forgotten about. Along with learning some Latin, Spanish, Hebrew and now Slovak!

I stick with plumbing, wood crafting and English!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:59:42 am »
NO wife!

However the ladies I am and have been associated with have been into every crafting hobby known to the modern world and a couple that I am sure were extinct.

My firm opinion is...If she's crafting, then she can't be buggin' me!

'Nuff said!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi