Author Topic: Here's one we folks in the US need to watch!  (Read 1599 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Here's one we folks in the US need to watch!
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:03:43 pm »
Using CFL light bulbs?

YOu must watch this!

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/75548.html

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Here's one we folks in the US need to watch!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:22:13 pm »
And they don't outlast regular bulbs,  I think I will start hoarding regular light bulbs .
I'm from North Dakota

cherie

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:25:35 pm »
Thanks GB, going to share this on FB.  Just something else to put me back on the soap box.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:51:11 pm »
Oh heck Gray Beard. That's OLD NEWS someone with the same initials as you already covered that on TV last year. But of course he's CRAZY too. LOL
The darn things don't put out as much light as Edison's bulbs either!
What a total joke. Another SNAFU of our new changy government. This will put quite a few people out of work here in the states that used to make GOOD light bulbs. Hum is there a pattern here?
I guess our kids will have to move to China to get a sweat shop job, there won't be any here pretty soon, except for haz-mat crews to clean up all the broken approved bulbs!
Just call me CRAZY,
Gabby  >:(
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:24:53 pm »
Hey you guys not a worry:
We in NZ been down that road a few years ago and to date you can still buy the old bulbs.
They still have not made a new eco bulb to replace every type of regular bulb known to man/woman.

Here is a bit of info on the eco bulbs we use in NZ http://www.ecobulb.com/nz/Technical_Safety.htm

If you read it you will sea that the mercury levels are extremely low.

I still use the older bulbs plus in the main areas I use the eco bulbs, to date they do last the distance, as long as they are not turned on an off dozens of times a day, like in a bathroom, teenagers room and the like.

Like if you use one in the kitchen when the light is low and you turn it on and the sun comes back out and then you turn it off again and in 5-10 minutes later you turn it back on again and so on an so on you sea where this is going, that is what makes them not last.
As for a reading lamp/light forget it regular or LED bulbs. LED bulbs are the way to go but thats a whole new ball game.

My 1.5 cents worth to you.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 04:47:53 pm »
GB, I started stockpiling 6 mos. ago >:( - thanks Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:51:57 pm »
Yea!!!  ::)  And I have 4 lamp shades that won't fit the new style bulb either!!  >:(

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Dawie

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 05:09:43 pm »
Why does it seem that all over the world the stuff that is suppose to help the ecosystem turn out to be worse than the things that are now in use. ??? ???
Just wondering.
David

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31:07 pm »
Why does it seem that all over the world the stuff that is suppose to help the ecosystem turn out to be worse than the things that are now in use. ??? ???
Just wondering.
David

Because law makers seem to think they can save us from ourselves and common sense never enters their minds.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 12:44:31 am »
Don't believe all the hype they are trying to sell us. Read the fine print then check out their claims for your self. Smoke and mirrors folks.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

chief

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 12:55:23 am »
Because big corporations pay for the politicians campaign and then they repay the corporations by passing these stupid worthless laws that do not represent the people.  Politicians represent corporations and their interests not the interests of the people.
As for the bulbs I use the CFL bulbs and like them.  I think they last longer, I have not done a study to test this.  As for the mercury I just dont break them. 

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 02:01:40 am »
I went back and listened to Congressman Ted Poe, I thought I heard or read they were made in China. Sure enough that's what he said. So I had to look and see for myself. My wife has been buying these things and had a package of good old American GE cfl bulbs. sure enough in small print on the base of the bulb "Made In China". now I don't know if what he said is true that they all are made there but I sure feel betrayed by a company I had trusted for years. Just another example of our jobs going over seas. (( I must add a note. What is forceing our manufacturers to export these jobs? Think about the progression of wages and perks that raise the costs of production to the point it is no longer profitable to make them here in the USA. )) This is more serious to us as Americans than whether they have mercury in them. As a matter of fact fluorescent tubes that are in just about every office or public building have had mercury in them for as long as I can remember. I know I was cautioned not to breath the dust from broken tubes as a child, by my father who was an electrical contractor by trade and knew about it. This is nothing but the Greenies throwing their weight around, still trying to foster the myth of global warming caused by everything from cows farts to the light bulbs you use. I just don't see how people can believe what they are trying to push down our throats. Just gullible I guess and too busy or lazy to take the time to check it out for themselves.
With respect,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 07:37:47 am »
I know this sounds silly, but one thing that will go away if this goes through, is Hasbro's Easy bake oven.  I had one, my daughter had one, and even my mother had one.  It has baked millions of cakes on an incandescent bulb for generations.  It was a great way to introduce young girls to baking and provided shared time with mom.

Mainewoods

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 07:46:04 am »
I know this sounds silly, but one thing that will go away if this goes through, is Hasbro's Easy bake oven. 

Hate to break it to you julie, but they've already changed it!  No longer uses incandescent bulbs!  Heard 'em talking about it on public radio just the other day!

SMF

Teknoromi