Author Topic: Sold My 788  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
Sold My 788
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:52:58 pm »
I sold my DeWalt 788 the other day, only because I also had an RBI Ultra 220vs that I liked and couldn't justify having two scroll saws.  The odd thing is how I felt when the buyer took it.  He didn't really know anything about scroll sawing, and seemed disinterested when I told him about this board and offered him a book on scroll sawing (free).  He loaded it up in the back of his pickup, and didn't bother to cover it even though there was a drizzling rain.  I know, I got the full price I was asking so shouldn't be bothered by this, but I really was hoping the buyer would be someone enthusiastic about scrollsaw projects, and who would take care of his equipment.  So why do I care?

I really do like the 220vs, except that it's a bottom feed only, but I'm getting used to that.  I just hope I can continue to get parts for it if I need them.  But then, I only paid $299 for it, brand new and still in the box.  Sold the 788 for more than that.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Sold My 788
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:30:02 pm »
Hey Crabby, I started as a bottom feeder until I got a DeWalt. The change to top feeding came instantaneous and instinctual. I could never go back to bottom feeding again!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:54:57 pm »
I am thinking that he purchased it for 'resale'!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:30:46 pm »
I am with GB, watch it pop up on Craig List etc for more money.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:41:44 pm »
GB and Russ, you guys might be right.  I would really like to have the EX-21 and figure I could get $400 - $500 for the RBI.  Would I be nuts for doing that?
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:01:36 am »
I'm not GB or Russ, but NO - you would not be nuts doing that.  I've had my EX21 for about 7 years now and enjoy it emensly.  I studied and tried many saws before I decided which one to move up to.  I have never regreted my decision to buy the EX21.
I totally understand why you were disappointed in the buyer of your 788.  When I got rid of my Dremel 1800, I made sure it went to someone who wanted to learn and would enjoy it as much as I had.  It was a great starter saw and I hated to see it go.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20:25 am »
Crabbyboater,
I have had 2 RBI's A& loved both.  You probably already know, but Bushton Manufacturing bought out RBI and has parts available.  They are also selling saws and other tools again.  Hopefully they will re-establish a great tool line and keep it viable.  On the other hand, RBI saws rarely seem to need parts.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi