Author Topic: not woodworking  (Read 1354 times)

cherie

not woodworking
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:05:21 pm »
I know this has nothing to do with wood working at all, but it does affect many lives and the communities in which we live.  I just saw this documentary and realized just how bad things really are not only with our country, but with the general public as well.  Walmart has become so much of our lives, that like a drug we have come dependent on them.  I am enclosing a link if any of you would like to try and watch.  If you have access to Netflix or something like that, please watch.  Thanks.
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/wal-mart-the-high-cost-of-low-price/

marmoh

Re: not woodworking
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:09:18 pm »
Thanks Cherie

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:10:27 pm »
Hey Cherie....Jus wanted to say that I wasted my time clicking on your post with the link.  All I went to is Questions that OF COURSE will inform WHOERVE of my prefrences about certain products and then I will be bombared with SPAM emails.  Hey maybe I didn't do what you suggested correctly,  so maybe you could tell me how I can read/see HOW WALMART is doing whaterver they are doing.  Later....  Danny  :+}  
Danny  :+}

cherie

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 08:10:59 pm »
Your welcome Marion.  I am suppose to be doing homework, but been on a roll today.  My Facebook page shows some things that have been bothering me.  LOL.  Maybe I can compare Frankenstein to Walmart?  LMAO

cherie

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:13:17 pm »
Danny, I clicked it and it went to the documentary.  Maybe it is in your computer settings?  I have also posted it on my FB page and sent it in an email to friends.  If you want email me at gardenfever54@hotmail.com and we can try it that way.  Hope it works.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:20:20 pm »
Hello again Cherie....I am very sorry for my ignorance of understanding how to get around on things when I click on a link.  Over all I feel that most every business has a way of obtaining information from us in a sneakie way and I am very tired of this.  I DID view the doccumentary about Walmart and I do understand the message.  Thank you for bringing light to this subject.  Not very sure people will change tho.  Later....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

cherie

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 08:27:24 pm »
I totally understand Danny.  Another thing that I forgot to point out is the fact that if a person has no choice but to shop at Walmart, is to quit using the self - check out lines.  Jaun explained to me that this process means that Walmart does not have to hire another cashier which means someone will be without a job.  I now use a checker at all costs.  I do not care if I am in a hurry or not. 
I hope this sheds light on the way our country and many others are becoming and how it needs to be changed.

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 11:07:04 pm »
The working conditions seems to be no good at all @ walmart.

I changed company last year because I felt, the company did earn money on the staff.

It's OK to earn money WITH the staff, but when it comes to earning ON the staff, things change totally.

regards
Torsten

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 12:27:55 am »
I don't shop at Walmart because of their lack of concern for there employees.
Dan In Southern California

yankeebum2

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 12:48:58 am »
I've seen almost all the documentarys on walmart. I guess I got a little different opinion on this. I'm employed with walmart. Am I  the walmart squiggly guy? No! But I can tell you a couple things from first hand experience. Is the work tough? Hell yes it is. I leave work sore everyday. That might just be from my work ethic, I come to work to work. Another thing is I do go to work everyday knowing what is expected of me and knowing I will be treated fair. I come from a strong union background and when I started at walmart it was a big adjustment for me. I will say though in my nine years there I have never felt my job to be in jeopardy. If your job is in jeopardy with the company it's because of you. Like every other big company out there, someone wants to take you down. If we believed every documentary and consperiecy, that would mean you also believe the bogus 9/11 theory. How many people tried to make a name for themselves on those documentaries?

In regards to sweatshops. Take a good look at where all your "name" brand stuff is made. It's sad that EVERY company does it. If you want to boycott something boycott it if it's made outside the USA.

You would take offence to if people wish to boycott your company and push you to the millions of unemployed.

cherie

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 01:11:33 am »
Steve, thank you for your opinion and it is great to have another side of the story. I am very happy that you have no problems with your job.  As for the Made in the USA labels, I do agree with you there.  However, it is almost and I say almost impossible to find anything made within the states these days.  I worked in a Shoe Factory years ago which closed because people quit buying American.  I push to buy American when possible and I am sure many of us do. Many jobs have left the states since it is cheaper to be made elsewhere.  Our people need to take back our country the way it was.

yankeebum2

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 01:26:09 am »
In 1993 Ross Perot made a statement during a debate "if we sign this NAFTA agreement your gonna hear a giant sucking sound coming out of America" He was so right. If only he could have chosen a better running mate.

Btw I lost my job twice to NAFTA.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 01:33:41 am »
Wow Cherie that is some video. I just finished watching the whole thing through, it begins as a rah rah for walmart then becomes an expose`. Well worth the time to see just how arrogant they really are. I always knew they were pushing the little guys out and weren't doing anything to really help the community. They are following the pattern from the old mining towns where everything was owned by the mine and you could only buy from the company store as you weren't payed cash.
Ernie Ford sung 16 tons about this situation. This is probably too old a song for many nowadays to remember.
These are the conditions that spawned the unions, which have overstepped their mandate, and are now as big if not a bigger problem with their corrupt control of those they have payed to elect to office through out all of politics. The watch dog has turned on their owners they were placed there to protect. Now their demands have made it impossible to remain competitive and the jobs have been sent to places where the wages are much cheaper. The USA has lost it's production edge it had throughout the 1800's and most of the 1900's. No wonder Detroit and other manufacturing citys are turning ionto ghost towns.
Sign me "a concerned old fart".
Gabby
For those having problems viewing Cherie's link try right clicking and open it in another window or tab depending on your operating system. It worked for me.
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

cherie

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 10:16:25 am »
Steve, I also understand about losing you job to NAFTA.  I also remember Ross running.  I worked two factories for a total of 17 years.  One closed the other is still hanging on by a thread.  However, the insurance both companies carried was great.  We had no problems meeting the deductible or anything.  They paid what they should with no problems.  How is your insurance through Walmart?  And I am not just going by the documentary here, I have friends that work there and can barely make ends meet.  I constantly see the manager on the floor watching his employee's, and I never see a one gather to talk to each other.

Chachi

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 12:03:11 pm »
WOW!!!! I Never knew but I will say this much I almost don't wanna shop at wal-mart anymore because of it but here in our town we have 2 super wal-marts and the mom and pop store just to stay alive is higher then wal-mart so we shop at wal-mart although I do buy as local as I can from the mom and pop stores as much as I can.

Thanks Cheri

SMF

Teknoromi