Author Topic: belt sander  (Read 3025 times)

Offline cliveg

• View Profile
belt sander
« on: February 24, 2011, 03:26:25 pm »
just playing in the shed and thinking how do i tell the wife i need to spend 200
quid (english money) on a disc sander or somthing to sand boxes ect already
use my pillar drill to sand so what ive done is place my belt sander on a peice of ply 1" (side down)
and marked and cut it with my jigsaw now sits flat on the bench giving me a 3.5 x 10 inch sanding area
and no cuts and bruises

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: belt sander
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:55:31 pm »
Try telling her over dinner.  Perhaps after it shows up!
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Bill P

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:44:08 pm »
That reminds me of the old saying, "It's easier to ask forgiveness, than permission."  Personally, I don't find that to be true.

Good luck.

Bill

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:53:27 am »
They say necessity is the mother of invention.
My fix for this problem was to clamp my B&D handheld belt sander in a vise upside down it has a hold on button to lock it on. Works great. Replacement belts are relatively inexpensive and available at the local lumber yard / building supply store. I hope this is helpful.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

grampa

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:26:10 am »
Buy her one for a birthday present or Easter present and when she says "what use is that to me" you say OH well I can't take it back so I will keep it, then get her a bunch of flowers.......Paul

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 10:09:49 am »
Come on Guys!  You have to use a little more guile than that.  Two suggestions: take on an ambitious project to make something very personal as a gift for her, and invite her input.  Once the project is underway, talk about how much easier it would be to get the desired level of perfection if you only had the tool you need.  Alternative, take her along to a woodworking show or at least a good tool store and just stare at the tool you want and say something to the effect of how useful that would be, and how much time and labor it would save, but you just hate to spend the money on something for yourself.  Then if she goes for it, make her that personal item you know she would love as a way of expressing gratitude.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:12:46 am »
Boy!
We older guys need to collaborate on a book about the ways to 'get things' we need with 'guile and deceit'!

Bill, we sure do think alike!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:21:46 am »
I am sure glad I don't have this problem. I have my own income, bank accounts etc. and my wife has hers. She doesn't say a word if I buy or won't something. I just do it.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

supershingler

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:43:20 am »
I heard it once said "its easier to kiss and make up than ask permission".

i dont ask anymore i just buy it and hide it for a while.  when my wife see's it i just
whip out the reciept and show her how long ive had it.  if she says i didnt ask her
i just tell her i asked one night in bed and when she didnt say no i just went ahead
and got it. 

it not my fault she might have been sleeping

kendall

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 12:09:32 pm »
Russ, I'm on the same path you're on.  When I married (2nd time), the wife insisted on a prenuptial separating our accounts and assets.  I really enjoy that I can "squander" my money however I want, and I never quibble about whatever she wants to buy.  Sure makes for greater harmony.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 01:08:59 pm »
My wife knows how much it means to me to be able to work. I have muscular dystrophy and work mostly from a wheel chair. I have done the idea about making things for her, it works! hehehee. I actually got her to buy my DeWalt for me. She's the best wife! I love her :)

Chachi

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 01:15:57 pm »
Tell her it is for your side job as a wood worker and if you have not made any money from it yet tell her it's because I dont have a belt sander to be able to sand these things well enough to sell them yet. That is what I tell my wife everytime. Yeah it only works on some things.

Ahhh shoot just buy and then take the yelling for a bit you have the sander and quiet for awhile..lol

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »
It is said, "He who must ask wife's permission, must also look in her purse for his *ahem* testicular appendages." :o
I'm from North Dakota

Bill P

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 06:14:56 pm »
 :D

Judy, I was wondering when a lady would weigh in and give us her opinion.  I didn't expect that, however.

Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 06:33:55 pm »
My wife is a quilter, She wouldn't dare question me about a tool purchase with all the fabric and sewing machines and patterns and do-Hickeys and thing-a-ma-jigs that she buys!
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi