Author Topic: Not quite entry level saw and not quite...  (Read 2903 times)

SonOfMartin

Not quite entry level saw and not quite...
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:23:33 am »
Ok, so here is my question....

I'm a rank beginner and started with an AMT single speed saw that I had to run after because it walked all over my shop.

Found a VS Ryobi on CL that has been quite adequate at lower speeds and better once I made a zero clearance insert to cover the gigantic hole in the table.

Now I realize that I can make use of a better saw but I can't afford nor justify a Dewalt or higher price saw.....hence my question...

Are there truly any mid-level saws out there?  I hear good and I hear bad about the Craftsman VS, some people love some hate the PC saw available from Lowes....what's a beginner to buy that can't afford a DW or higher???

Any opinions ?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:26:42 pm by SonOfMartin »

emtdonald

Re: Not quite entry level saw and not quite...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:47:04 am »
i have the porter cable and i like it pretty good. you cant beat the price and it comes with a stand. table tilts both ways, blade change is fairly easy. i would reccomend it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:54:54 am »
Call Ray Seymore at Seyco.  He often has reconditioned EX21s that he takes in trade.  I bought mine that way.  Also look at the recons out there for dewalt.  Other than buying used, it pretty much jumps from the porter cable at about $200 to the Delta at about $450.  Ray goes through his with a fine toothed comb and you are buying as good as new when you buy from him. 

SonOfMartin

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:04:36 am »
Can you point me to where I can find reconditioned DW?

Chachi

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:23:58 am »
I have a Craftsman 16" veriable and wish I had the money for the Dewalt 788 because there is so many problems with the Craftsman but when your just starting out it is great but after awhile you learn of all the problems.

So I say go with a PC and then when you can afford it upgrade if you want I never used a PC but I do dream about the D788. (Sigh one day I will own it)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:37:48 pm »
I have bought several tools from this company and have never had a single problem or complaint.

http://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt-saws/dewalt-saws,default,sc.html

Look around and check for the Reconditioned saws.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 06:41:07 pm »
I tried the PC in the store, and it seemes like a decent machine. It looks almost like a copy of the Hitachi that Lowes used to carry (i think the manufactures are linked, but I don't pay much attention to who owns who) I have the Hitachi, and love it, so if it is a copy it should be good. The PC was also rated really well in one of the scroll saw magazines, if that means anything.
I haven't tried the craftsman, but I don't like the look/feel of the machine. My husband says it must be a woman thing, that it looks just fine. But can you trust plumbers? ;)
I have used some of the other cheap saws, and I don't think I would have stuck with the hobby if I only had one of those.

Terry Jackson

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:08:05 pm »
I have seen DW 788 on Craigslist for around $250, bought a Hawk 220VS for $150, and have seen the Hitachi/now PC for under $100.  Look around and you may find a bargain.

For a new saw under $200, get the Hitachi/PorterCable.  Take off the cover on the left side.  Remove the hold-down foot and use the winged bolt to replace the one in the blade holder that wants an allen wrench to tighten it.  Now you have tool-free blade changes.

It is designed as a bottom-feed saw, but you can learn to top-feed if you use larger blades, say #3 and up.  Position the workpiece, slip the blade through and fasten the top blade clamp, reach underneath and slip the blade into the slot in the holder and tighten, then apply tension in the usual manner. 
Terry

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 09:13:35 pm »
But can you trust plumbers? ;)
Take it from a plumber, Yes, some of us are honest! ::)
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:36:45 pm »
I thought you would like that Dan ;)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 03:54:07 am »
Don't forget Craig's list in your area, make sure and take any used saw for a test drive before laying your hard earned money down. Steve has a video on the craftsman somewhere here on the forum maybe someone will chime in here and tell you where it is. This is the cheapest I was able to find it.
http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_details.jsp?md=ct_md&cid=2402&pn=1&ps=10&pid=23021&mode=buyUsed&source=googleaf
Good luck,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Mainewoods

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 07:38:00 am »
Another Porter Cable user here.  Upgraded from mid 90's cheap Craftsman.  Significant improvement.  Light is IMO useless, so I removed it and added a 20watt halogen lamp.  Sand bags on the cross members of the stand have made it nearly vibration free at upwards of half speed, and did as another member suggested with the knob switch (all the same size threads, just different shaped heads on them).  Very happy with it, but still pine for a 788. 

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 07:43:09 am »
I used a Craftsman scroll saw years ago and it had allot of vibration. Blade change wasn't to bad if I remember correctly.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 03:56:18 pm »
I bought a Hegner fro $200 from CL about a month ago, have seen one or two since.  Mine runs like a top!
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

Offline scrollsaw22

• View Profile
    • Phillip's Scrolling
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 08:23:51 pm »
I must be the odd duck....I use a dremel 1680 and still have the original one I started with over 7 years ago.  Have another that I purchased off ebay as a backup.  Only problems with it are the light quit, dust blower is almost non existent now (hence my aquarium pump) and replaced the switch once.  Although, I would love to be able to get the DW788.

SMF

Teknoromi