Author Topic: Have you used the Scroll Sanders...  (Read 2492 times)

marmoh

Have you used the Scroll Sanders...
« on: February 21, 2011, 02:33:02 pm »
Am needing to find a faster way to sand things ...  spending more time sanding than it takes to cut..was thinking about trying the scroll sanders and was wondering if anyone else used them and your thoughts on them.  I usually end up cutting up emery boards and using them to get into the small places ... any ideas of what type of sander to get to help ???   Thanks in advance....

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Have you used the Scroll Sanders...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:50:07 pm »
Marion, I have never used them. I have no need for them. If you use the right blade you shouldn't need to sand your cuts. If I have a miss-cut, I go back and clean it up with right side of the blade which has a burr on it from the manufacturing process.
After applying an oil and then a top coat of semi gloss spray lacquer, all my edges and inside cuts are smooth and shiny!
Now if your using a soft wood like pine, your edges and inside cuts will probably need to be sanded.
I do sand the back of the piece to remove the fuzzies, but never any inside cuts.
Dan In Southern California

marmoh

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:00:42 pm »
Dan, if I were as good as you  ;D ;D I wouldn't have a problem ??  I just did a portrait using 1/4 " BB with a #1 FD spiral ( it was not in upside down !! ) and I had a lot of fuzzies on the back....is that what the sand flee is for ??? 

Bill P

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 03:03:08 pm »
Marion, I used them when I first started because I bought cheap blades, thinking that would save me money.  I learned the hard way to buy better blades and to stop before they got dull.

Bill

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 03:29:33 pm »
I found a bunch of them on clearance at menards and bought lots of them. I find them really handy when I need to sand little spots. They are way easier then cutting up emmery boards, which I also have done.
there is some truth in the idea of better blades creating better cuts. Also the right speed can sometimes make a difference.

marmoh

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:43:14 pm »
Well I am only using FD blades.....saw not seeming right so am going to take it apart and oil/grease and ordered a new assembly for the bottom blade holder....would assume if not exactly correct it could cause some play in the blade ??   Have the right blades, have good wood..it's now down to me or the machine... :o :o :o

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 05:29:31 pm »
Using a piece of 1/8" plywood as a backer helps a lot!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

marmoh

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »
Okay GB I give up.....I will use a 1/8 backer on the next one and see what happens...I need to call you the Stacker !!!!   Thanks for the advise, ( I hate to admit when you may be right  ::)

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:47:08 pm »
Better to call me a 'stacker' than a 'stalker'!

This is ESPECIALLY true if using SPIRAL blades!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

marmoh

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:29:49 pm »
I bow to your greatness and intelligence  :o :o :o

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 08:09:06 pm »
Marion

I've done well by using a backer board as well.  As a matter of fact when cutting 1/4" BB try stacking two or three thicknesses as well as the 1/8" backer.  (If a pattern is worth cutting once it may be valuable twice.)

Karl

cameronj

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 09:26:41 pm »
I always use a piece of 1/8 bb ply as a backer board when doing any type of stack cutting.  I treat it as trash when finished the cutting, and there is no sanding to do....unless the outside edges of the plywood need to be sanded a bit.
I have done hundreds of Christmas ornaments this way.
Jim

marmoh

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 10:53:24 pm »
I guess I am going to have to learn to not be so cheap.  I was doing a portrait of someone's dogs that I don't even know, so really didn't want more than one.  Guess I will start using a 1/8" backer and keep me a memento of what I do from now on.   

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 12:24:31 am »
Sometimes that bottom copy turns out OK and then other times it is just a 'throw away'.

I did a portrait of a cat for my sister's Christmas present and she found the bottom copy and sold it yesterday to a friend for $20...was not even sanded nor finished!

If mine come out OK I just slip them in a plastic sheet protector to show as a sample if nothing else!

~~~GB~~~

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 01:39:06 am »
The sanders are Ok but not cheap, Steve has a blog on how to make your own, look it up
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi