Author Topic: Frames  (Read 2701 times)

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Frames
« on: February 14, 2011, 06:20:55 pm »
How do all of you frame your portraits? Do you make your own frames, or use pre-made frames? Do you use square stock, or pretty routered edges? What about buying "picture frame moulding"?
Most of the time I print and cut patterns so they will fit in a standard 8x10 frame, so I can use store bought frames. I have made a few frames but I seem to spend way too much time trying to get them cut right, and I would rather start a new scroll project.
This weekend I printed a pattern and had it nearly all cut when it dawned on me that it was bigger then a 8x10 and that I would have to make a frame for this project. So it got me thinking, what do the rest of you do?

Bill P

Re: Frames
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 06:29:19 pm »
Ironically, you asked this at an interesting time for me.  I usually cut my work so it will fit in an existing frame, however, in an attempt to broaden myself (no fat jokes, please) I?ve decided to learn how to make my own frames.  I?ve purchased the Kreg picture frame jig, and will start making them whenever I get a round tuit.

Bill

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 06:50:27 pm »
Most of my projects are my own creation/patterns. I do use other patterns because there are so many fantastic patterns out there from so many wonderful creators/artists that I cannot resist the temptation. So therefore my shop allows me to build the frame to fit any project when is needed.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

grampa

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:53:40 pm »
When I have to make a over sized frame I ruff cut the pieces then finish them on my sanding station it has a miter Gauge set to 45deg, I get nice tidy joints with no small chip outs  when using the sander then I just glue them up in some corner clamps, I also use this method when making small boxes.......Paul

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:43:43 pm »
I usually make my own frames.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:25:49 pm »
MrsN, I don't like to be limited to size by what is available, So I make my own frames. Nothing fancy, Just a small round over on the edges. I usually use 5/8" to 3/4" depending on what I have laying around.
Dan In Southern California

Wildthang

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:26:14 pm »
I make my own frames. I take a section of a 2 x 6 and cut it down to 1 x 1 and put a 3/8 inch dado in the middle, 45 the ends at the right points, paint or stain if desired. Frame done.

Wildthang

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:01 pm »
Oh and i don't sand my frame. I like the rustic look.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 07:15:36 am »
I make my own frames.  If it is a piece that is rustic (cowboy stuff, wildlife, indians, etc.)  I use barn wood or fence pickets that have been layed out to weather.  The width depends on the piece.  I put all my pieces under glass.  I make my own because the store bought ones do not have the debth I need to fit glass, piece and backer so that it is flush on the back of the frame.  I hold it all in with either glazier points or toggles for screens.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 08:23:01 am »
I both use ready made and also make my own.  I cut the blanks from 1" stock and have a router set up with a rabbeting bit, then either use biscuits if wide enough or just glue and a wavy drive in holder.  I usually round over the inside edge and use an ogee on the outside.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 09:38:07 am »
When I build my frames, I don't use any reinforcements on the joints. Since I make the frame for the portrait, I glue the portrait to the frame. That way it is all one piece!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 09:44:11 am »
I go to the Family Dollar Store and buy the $3 8 x 10s  Can't make them that cheep.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 10:55:49 am »
I do make alot of my frames and have been known (for larger ones) to use door/window trim stock and just rabbet the back for the glass and thinner plywood cuttings.
I also use alot of barn wood frames.
If you use wider boards to make the frame, you can cut out the inside shape to anything you might want. I have made oval frames that way.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »
i'm with paw paw ray, i really don't know how to make frames that will.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Chachi

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 09:25:41 pm »
will start making them whenever I get a round tuit.
Bill

Well Bill you can get the Round tuit from Steves Pattern Book.......lol

As for me MrsN I have not reached that stage of scrolling yet but I do have a few when I get there so I will make mine in an 8x10 so I can use a store bought frame or they can get their own frame if they so choose.

SMF

Teknoromi