Author Topic: Its clean the workshop day  (Read 3371 times)

malc

Its clean the workshop day
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:36:37 am »
Its cold, windy and raining, dog doesn't want to go out , neither do I. So its workshop cleaning day, having started I think it may take a week! If only I was disciplined enough to put things away after they are used and be a bit more brutal when it comes to throwing out old bits of kit well past their sell by date. When my workshop is tidy I work so much better so on with the cleaning. By the by my Tertius clock is coming on quite nicely, will post pictures soon.
Malc

tux_linux

Re: Its clean the workshop day
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:51:39 am »
args - need that too...

This is always happening when I have to much projects in the shop:
Tools everywhere but not where expected.
The project parts somewhere, where you can't get past them.
Moving things left to right, right to left.

and where is that damn .... ?!

Might clean a bit too tomorrow. First I need a bigger sanding job done...

regards
Torsten

Chachi

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:15:47 am »
A messy shop show work is being done a clean shop shows Idol hands  "You see a mess I see a clean shop" lol All you need to do is break down where you do things and leave it that way such as sanding is done in this area so all the sanding things go over here so next time you can find it all so on and so fourth. I call it clean Chaos the wife however calls it a mess and is not allowed in my shop....lol

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:56 am »
I live in a very small place and have learned to put everything away as I use it.  I love working in a clean environment and knowing where everything is. It is safer too because there are fewer distractions.  I get so much done and am so much more productive that way.  But everyone has a different view on this, I guess.

Have a great day getting cleaned up and organized.  I am sure you will be happy when it is all nice and neat and make more of your wonderful projects!

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Chachi

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:45:02 am »
I clean my shop as well just not everytime I use it about once or twice a Month I sweep it up and put things away clean the sawdust off things as I go I just don't put things away like I should and I know this is very wrong of me to do but it is only my shop so If I leave the drill and sander sitting in the work area no harm done besides it is such a small shop I kno where everything is lol I still working on the plans for my shop that I will be building but you know how it goes you see something that you think would go great in your shop and you have to change the plans all up again (I'm starting to think those Prefab ones may be the way to go for me)

marmoh

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:44:15 am »
I share my "shop" with 2 big chest freezers and they make great areas to spread out on....until I need something out of the freezer...always seems to be the freezer I have the most stuff on !!!  It makes you feel so much better when you have a clean place to work.  Usually tell myself I can't use the saw until the mess is cleaned up.  After I finish I'm right back in the same situation !! 

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:48:13 am »
Cleaning Shop?
Have to do that every time we want to put the car away and the 'shop' folds back up into its little corner.

Weather is breaking and Sunday will be the big day to re-open the work area. Highs all week in the 50's and NO Precipitation!!!

sawdust gonna fly this week!!!! 

~~~GB~~~

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

chief

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »
Well I need to clean mine as well.  I spend a couple of hours every week cleaning.  The wifes car gets one half of the garage and my tools get the other half.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 01:33:52 pm »
Sometimes I use a shopvac, but usually I just open the doors to the alley and fire up the leaf blower.  Makes dusting a "breeze"!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 05:56:23 pm »
Not going to happen today. Replaced brakes on three family cars. No wood only metal on my list of things to be done..  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 07:28:58 pm »
I've been in the process of totally re-arranging my shop. Just when I think I've got everything where I want it to be, I come up with a "better" plan. I have my scroll saw and work benchs where I want them I think. Hopefully soon I'll find a permanent place for everything else. Until I see another shop setup I like better lol

ups34

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 07:11:00 am »
I try to clean my shop everytime I work there. I clean it almost everyday. I have to have everything in the right place or I am not happy. I guess I am sick? But I enjoy my clean shop. A mess stops me from woodworking.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 07:57:59 am »
I try to clean up after each project.  Since many of my projects are multi-piece projects or large, I just can't get going on the next thing until I have things put back where they belong.  I  am a creature of habit and I wan't to be able to just reach for what I need and it be there.

Chachi

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 09:22:35 pm »
Ok Ok I give I lost my jigsaw and I need it for anohter project I was doing So I had to clean my shop to find it so I cleaned MY SHOP UP today, Happy now?
  LOL :D ;D

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 10:12:22 pm »
Hey Chachi,  A place for everything and everything in it's place.

SMF

Teknoromi