Author Topic: Christmas in February  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Christmas in February
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:43:19 pm »
Hi guys and gals, I got a saw today. A Delta 40-540, in excellent condition from a benevolent gentleman here on the forum. I am not going to spread his name around in order not to embarrass him. He and I know who he is.
I'll say this, he would not respond to my attempt to pay him for the saw or even the shipping. Except to say use it for lumber to build a stand. He has my gratitude for that, as I'm on a limited budget living on SS and my wife's pension, otherwise you would be seeing me under a bridge or carrying a back pack down the road. This man went out of his way to help another, I have him to thank and God as well.

I discovered right away that I'm going to have to make a lot of little scraps out of big ones to get the hang of it. I had an inspectors lamp with a powerful four inch lens, that I clamped to the table, and the special circular fluorescent light even worked! With it I could stand up and still see clearly what I was or wasn't doing (like keeping on the line LOL). I'll be ordering the assortment pack of Flying Dutchman blades asap, to see what all the cheering is about. I was furnished a half dozen blades with the saw. I was planning on trying the ones available at our local lumber yard, but I think I'll save my money and go for the best according to all the pro's here on the forum. So look out for old Fuzzy Face, he'll be bugging y'all for advice and generally getting in your hair, and in the way. Well back to snooping the site, looking for good advice and patterns and such for when I can really do this work or play, depends on your point of view.
Thanks for listening to this old wind bag. And keep in mind there really are some extremely NICE people out there.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Chachi

Re: Christmas in February
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:57:15 pm »
Well my hats off to whomever it was I for one am very happy to see there are still good people out there in this world good luck to you and we are all here to help and promote this hobby just do one small thing as you make saw dust remeber toalways pay it forward this way someone else may enjoy this hobby as well as my preacher friend says the tinyest of miracle's come from the smallest things (I made him a welcome sign and a few crosses for the church). So as you practice give it away you never know you may get that person intrested in the hobby or at least be able to have a piece of kindness that will allow them to think about be kind to someone else in the future...

Good luck in all that you do and have fun..

chief

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:11:24 pm »
Hope you enjoy your new saw.  Just remember to pay it forward when ever God gives you an oppurtunity too.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:31:13 pm »
Hey Gabby, Congratulations on the new to you saw! It does not surprise me that someone from this forum has helped you out like this. This is the best bunch of folks around. And remember when you have questions, we are here to help!
Dan In Southern California

marmoh

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:58:34 pm »
Gabby that's the same saw I have.  My brother-in-law gave it to me and it has opened up a whole new world to me.  I've never used another saw so I can't say if it's better or worse than another,all I can say is it cuts the wood and I love it.  The FD blades do make a difference so get some ordered.  I know you are as grateful to the person that gave it to you, as I am to my brother in law. 

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 12:19:09 am »
Hope you enjoy your new saw.  Just remember to pay it forward when ever God gives you an opportunity too.
Thanks Chief I was planning to, already thinking about gifts for friends and family. I hang out at the local Senior Center A couple hours each day 4 days a week, I think some signs of appreciation for those who donate their time for all of us to enjoy it would be appropriate. I'm thinking of others as well and will come up with more eventually I'm sure. More reasons to practice!!!!!
After reading your post, I'm thinking what goes around comes around. Just this last summer I gave all my leather working tools to my Son in law without any thought of pay backs in mind it was a pretty complete set. I guess the Boss keeps score for us.
Gabby

Got a little warning notice about other replies to my post, when I went to post this response. never had that feature on other forums I've been on. Pretty cool.
Thanks to Chachi, dgman, and Marion for the great suggestions and comments I've read them and taken them to heart.
Every day is Christmas     Christ's Mass!
Gabby
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:24:29 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 12:35:10 am »
Well, here's my take on your story.
Some un-named benefactor saw your posts and how truly interested you are in this addiction we call a hobby.
Somewhere, at sometime in some place a kindness was done for this person and now he/she has decided to do a little 'payback'.
Frankly I have been on both sides of that situation, call it being the "Giver" and the "Givee".

The problem I have with the whole thing is I can never make up my mind which made me feel better!
It was very nice to be on the receiving end and receive the benefit of someone's generosity.
But on the other hand, I sure had a long lasting, warm feeling when I could do the same for someone else.

I say from my position, appreciate and enjoy the gift and this will in turn bring even greater satisfaction to the "Giver", knowing that he/she has helped you toward the enjoyment of a great hobby.
Now make both of you happy and get busy! We're here to help, each in our own way.

I also want to say "Thank You ALL", each and every one of you for being the sharing, caring and loving FAMILY that you are!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 01:09:01 am »
GrayBeard. I couldn't have said it better. I've been in both positions, and appreciate the feelings of both. Being on the receiving end keeps us humble, giving is "Godly" and according to his teaching. But we all forget to be thankful at times. Even our sharing of these posts and our feelings / beliefs given here are of benefit to we know not who  / or is it whom.... never could figure which was correct and when.
Gabby

Well, here's my take on your story.
Some un-named benefactor saw your posts and how truly interested you are in this addiction we call a hobby.
Somewhere, at sometime in some place a kindness was done for this person and now he/she has decided to do a little 'payback'.
Frankly I have been on both sides of that situation, call it being the "Giver" and the "Givee".

The problem I have with the whole thing is I can never make up my mind which made me feel better!
It was very nice to be on the receiving end and receive the benefit of someone's generosity.
But on the other hand, I sure had a long lasting, warm feeling when I could do the same for someone else.

I say from my position, appreciate and enjoy the gift and this will in turn bring even greater satisfaction to the "Giver", knowing that he/she has helped you toward the enjoyment of a great hobby.
Now make both of you happy and get busy! We're here to help, each in our own way.

I also want to say "Thank You ALL", each and every one of you for being the sharing, caring and loving FAMILY that you are!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 02:35:51 am »
congrats on your new saw!
enjoy and have fun with it.
to the giver just one word: CHAPEAU
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 05:47:29 am »
yep, I like to thank the unknown giver as well.

You have done something great!

@ Gabby
Have fun. It's so good to make something nice and to give it away. But before giving stuff away - make photos for us!

@ GB
This changed on me too. I'm more a giver today, not so much a receiver. I like to see others being surprised.

regards
Torsten
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:49:30 am by tux_linux »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 07:36:16 am »
Congratulations on the saw and a big thank you to the person who helped you out. I agree with GB,  "appreciate and enjoy the gift and this will in turn bring even greater satisfaction to the "Giver", knowing that he/she has helped you toward the enjoyment of a great hobby. "
 :)  :)  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 08:03:14 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dawie

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 07:39:56 am »
Hi Gabby I am so glad for you. To the person who helped you out. God bless you.
Gabby enjoy the saw and am looking forward to your work.
David

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 07:54:29 am »
Congratulations on your new saw.  Please, do not waste your money on the hardware store blades.  You will pay twice as much and they really are bottom of the line blades.  Stick with Flying dutchman or Olson blades.  Even adding on the freight, you will pay less.  Check out the cull bin at the Home Depot.  You can sometimes find great scrolling lumber in there for 51 cents.  Practice, practice, practice.
To the wonderful person who sent the saw.  Thank you for sharing.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 01:36:14 pm »
Thank you to all who have answered my post and made me feel so welcome here and the giver  to this old givee. Today is the begining of the rest of my life. Just woke up and checked my email and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the responses. It puts me in a position requiring me to get off my Donkey and get to work. Thanks again, I'll try not to let you down.  I ordered the assortment pack from Mike, and got his e-mail saying my order will ship tomorrow!
 If I ramble some it's because I'm not really awake yet.
Gabby
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:37:44 pm by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Mainewoods

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 02:45:39 pm »
Just saw this thread.  As I've said in another thread a while back, I think the world needs more scrollers, because I've never seen a more friendly, warm, caring and generous bunch of people than I have seen on this forum.  The rest of the world could learn a thing or two by hanging out here!!! :)

SMF

Teknoromi