Author Topic: Newby  (Read 3236 times)

Mainewoods

Re: Newby
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 07:17:52 am »
First off - Welcome!  A lot of outstanding information and advice here.  I also have the Porter Cable Scroll Saw and it is a very capable saw once you learn the techniques.  If you go to the link I've attached and watch Rick's videos, he passes on some details that have helped me a lot.  When you get to the page, about half way down the page is a section titled Other Topics/Cutting Basics.  This section has about a dozen videos that cover the basics of squaring your blade, making inside and outside corners and V cuts, among others.  Watch them, I'm certain you'll gain at least a little info!  And, like everyone else has said, practice practice practice!

http://www.scrollsaws.com/General/scrollsaw_tip_videos.htm

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 07:49:50 am »
When you get going at this - you might want to consider going with baltic birch plywood.  If you are getting your ply at the hardware store - you will have voids and spots that won't cut right.  When you buy plywood from a supplier of scrollsaw wood, you will find more plys and no voids.  For practice purposes, anything you can get your hands on will do, but you will see and feel a noticable difference when you move up to better wood. 

Cotsy

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 11:56:49 am »
The baltic birch plywood sounds like a good idea.  I have no idea where to get it though.  Can I buy at local lumber supply or need to buy on-line??
thanks
dave

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 04:54:25 pm »
You won't find it at the big box stores. A real lumber store will probably carry it. The best place to order it online is www.sloanswoodshop.com
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 05:05:46 pm »
I order all my BB Plywood from Sloan's. Nice people, great BB, fast delivery, and reasonably priced.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 05:08:04 pm »
some Home Depot stores carry 1/8 " BB ply but not all of them around here. might be worth a try if you have one close :)

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 06:40:44 pm »
if you live in the midwest, menards carries baltic birch plywood.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 06:48:02 am »
Ditto on Sloan's.  Have never got a bad piece from them.

SMF

Teknoromi