Author Topic: Where do you buy your lumber?  (Read 5599 times)

CNLNC

Re: Where do you buy your lumber?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 01:51:27 pm »
I can't wait to see what i make first too. I plan on making the heart shaped box Steve showed on his blog for V-day. Figured it would be a good first project, not to mention soften up the wife for those future tools. ;D

If it turns out, and I don't end up making more kindling, I'll post a pic of my first official project.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 03:24:31 am »
I buy most ply wood at the craft store.
but we have a demolition company who pull down buildings, Here I buy 1,2" x 4,5" oak shelf or some Merbau hardwood shelfs.
I also went to a local contractor with a wood works shop for some pine/cedar/oak block/shelf leftovers. leftovers are often for free  ;)
then I shape down the wood on the band saw in 1/2 (1cm after sanding) thick pieces.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Rightarm

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 02:17:31 pm »
    I'm lucky. I have a little lumber store about 2 miles from me. Its all rough cut lumber. I use mostly cherry. And he has plenty. He carries any wood that is from around here. He also sells Malberry. Sasafras, Hickory, Oaks, Walnut, Ash, Pines, etc. And he's not over priced. Dave 8)

CNLNC

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 06:06:16 pm »
I wish I had a store like that close by, but until I find someone somewhat close I think I'm left with ordering online. I ordered last Thursday night and I'm still waiting. Maybe next time I'll try someone else to see if it gets here quicker. I feel like a kid the day before xmas, I can't wait for that UPS truck to show up. Oh well, they say patience is a virtue...
I do hope it shows up soon though because the first project I have to do is a gift for the wife for V-day. Wish me luck...

qlty

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 10:12:44 am »
I get a lot of thin wood from a local large liquor store,many imported wines are shipped in wood boxes and you can't beat the price best time is around the holidays.

jim stiek

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 10:25:26 am »
ocooch hardwoods in wisconsin can not be beat for quality and seervice.we use them frequently and they are very responsive to our needs.

CNLNC

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 01:34:36 pm »
OK...now i'm really bummed. I oredered some wood from Wood and Shop last Thursday (1 week ago), so since I had not recieved it yet I gave them a call. They tell me the wood has not shipped yet since they are running behind. WHAT??? Would of been nice to know it was going to take so long to get their wood delivered.
Now, I realize I live in California, and am not really in tune with the weather conditions across the country, so maybe that had something to do with it. But, I was always brought up with make no excuses, and "running a few days behind" to me doesn't cut it.
I'll have to figure out a different way to get the wood i need, but I guess its back to the drawing board for the V-day gift for the wife.
I don't think I'll be using Wood and Shop again, unless you all can convince me otherwise.
Oh well...so frustrated :-\

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 02:05:43 pm »
Another great source is thinwoods.com Great service/prices.

Paul

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 02:11:16 pm »
Sorry I even mentioned them.

This area has been hit with snow and ice twice in the last three weeks and I can fully understand what they are going through simply by having visited them in person.

The location is in rural farm country and I am sure the workers were not able to get to the shop for a couple of days due to icy roads and driveways.

I truly hope you find an alternate source for you supplies.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

CNLNC

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 05:54:01 pm »
GB
I appreciate all the advice and guidance this forum has to offer. I have to learn what will work for me in my situation. I can understand if it was out of there control, just bummed I couldn't get the supplies sooner. I guess Mother Nature wins again...

Keep the advice and guidance coming...thanks

@Paul...thanks, i'll look into them.

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 07:31:52 am »
GrayBeard,

I want to thank you for your information regarding Hardwood sources. I too was looking for an alternate source. I called Ocooch Hardwoods yesterday looking for some Walnut and Maple. I had to leave a message. I just assumed either they were busy or they were caught up in another winter storm. I live in Indiana and we have been hit one after another with terrible weather. Anyway, I was driving home last night around 7 PM when my cell phone lit up and it was Ocooch calling me back. I couldn't believe that they would actually return my call (especially from someone who has never dealt with them before). I wasn't able to place my order because I'm not good at multi tasking while I'm driving so I told him I will call back this morning. Anyway, thank you for such a good source. I'm sure I can give them plenty of business going forward.

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

CNLNC

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 01:58:12 pm »
Just an update on my wood order from Wood @ Shop. I finally got the order delivered to my house yesterday, 2/16/11. It was originally ordered on 2/3/11. It came in a standard brown UPS box with no protection inside for the wood. The box had some damage on the outside but luckily the wood was not damaged. I ordered 3 pieces of different wood and sizes. 2 of them are exactly what I wanted. The third will have to be trimmed down since 1 end is over 9" wide and the other is less than 8" wide, i think they did this since one end of the wood is not prestine. It will all still work, but honestly I think I will use someone else next time for my lumber needs.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »
I personally would send an email to the company outlining my concerns.

How else will they learn to improve service.

Just my 2 cents...

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

CNLNC

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 05:54:40 pm »
Maybe I should, just it being my first time ordering wood on-line I don't know what the norm is. I was just passing along what I recieved, the condition, and how long it took.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 06:11:42 pm »
Well he also needs to know what WE expect from him...

~~~GB~~~

SMF

Teknoromi