Author Topic: Where do you buy your lumber?  (Read 5598 times)

CNLNC

Where do you buy your lumber?
« on: January 30, 2011, 06:41:48 pm »
I'm looking for a online site to purchase my lumber supplies. My area doesn't really have a good store to buy lumber, so I thought the internet would be a good alternative. I've checked out the site Steve recommends, Rockler Woodworking, and looks like it will work. But, unless i'm not looking correctly, the size of lumber they sell is limited. What if i'm looking for something wider than they sell?
Anyways, any input would be appreciated on where you get your lumber supplies from. Thanks.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you buy your lumber?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:50:18 pm »
Heritage Hardwoods
Ocooch
Woodnnshop.com - good source, call and talk to Bruce

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

CNLNC

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:33:10 pm »
Thanks. I'll look them up.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 10:54:55 pm »
The first two sites GB lists above are excellent sources. I have ordered from both and have always received excellent products. The third, I have not tried, so I can't speak of.
Dan In Southern California

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 06:35:06 am »
I have also used the first two Graybeard listed and have never been disappointed.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:01:40 am »
I buy my Baltic Birch Plywood from Sloan's Woodshop. David & Rhonda Sloan are wonderful people and I have never had a problem or bad wood.  :)

http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/default.htm
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 01:29:22 pm »
Another good source is Bell Forest products.
http://www.bellforestproducts.com/
I like their Craft wood packs. I also buy from Sloans and Ocooch. I haven't tried the others that were mentioned but I added them to my list :)

CNLNC

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 04:38:51 pm »
Russ, do you use plywood for scroll saw projects? I'm new to it, but I thought most projects would use some type of hardwood. Is plywood an option?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 04:45:06 pm »
@ CNLNC
I would say half of the projects I do are made from Baltic Birch Plywood. It is really very popular and works well for some projects.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 04:46:56 pm »
If MrsN replies be a little skeptical! She gets her hands on some strange wood! :) Snicker snicker

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 08:19:27 pm »
hey, be nice! Lol
I actually get most of my wood from rockler. I use the website and I have a store near by. The shipping is really quick, I am amazed every time.
I have also ordered off of ebay a few times. I'll look later this evening to see who from. Usually I order a grab bag of thin stock, just to boost my inventory. They also had a decent selection of sizes. I get a little nervous about not picking my own pieces, but so far have had good luck.

CNLNC

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:02:14 pm »
OK, I pulled the trigger and placed my first order for wood online. I used woodnshop since they had all the 3 different types of wood I wanted in the appropriate sizes. The price for lumber seemed about right or cheaper than the other places I checked out, but the shipping was on the high side, but since it is my first time, maybe it is normal.
Anyway, I'm excited to get my lumber and start my first real project.
Thanks to all of you for all the input on where to get lumber. I'm sure I'll be using a few of the sites, hopefully on a regular basis ;D I also discovered that I'm going to have to invest in some new shop tools to become more productive...or something like that.

By the way, about how long does it take to get the lumber delivered?

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 12:31:40 am »
First of all be aware that they handle every order individually and some of it may have to be cut or planed but I would guess that it will leave Monday or Tuesday at the latest...He sends most lumber UPS...

Where are you located and I can give you an approximation of the UPS travel time.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 12:33:09 am »
Send me a PM and let's figure this out!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 04:43:40 am »
All right!  Lumber is on the way.  Can't wait to see what you make first.  Reward yourself often with a new "toy".

SMF

Teknoromi