Author Topic: Fun morning!  (Read 1255 times)

HWPlmbr1

Fun morning!
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:52:22 pm »
Hi all!

We had a fun morning today and some what unexpected pride!
Our church had their AWANA grand prix race today. Some call it a pine wood derby. In past years my first three sons have had some fast cars but never a top three finish. You probably just guessed! Yep, we placed second for speed. It was unexpected for me :o and a whole lot of fun for us all, my 9 year old son especially. :) The first one to get a trophy!  :) :)
Dad, Mom and son all worked on it. He designed, sanded and hand painted. Dad of course cut on the scroll saw, sanded and spray lacquered. Mom helped in design, sanded and hand painted.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Fun morning!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 11:02:27 pm »
Way to go Harold! Of course you know the kids are suppose to do all the work! Everyone knows the parents to most of the work though!
Congratulations!
Dan In Southern California

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:09:03 pm »
Thanks Dan, I have always kept my sons involved. It is their car. I just do what they can't, like the cutting. The rest I have them do as much as they can.

I am sure some dads just take over and it becomes their car. It is supposed to be a team effort. Getting fathers and mothers working WITH their kids.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:20:14 pm »
Congrats to you and your son!! There is nothing better then being able to show off a trophy to your big brothers.

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 11:30:12 pm »
You got that right MrsN! He was the first in the door to tell two of his older brothers. The oldest doesn't know yet. I am sure he will soon!

Chachi

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:56:14 pm »
WTG good deal I bet he couldn't be prouder I know I would be for sure. Next year Number one in speed right?

Muzzlemike

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:14:16 am »
My son was in it for 2 years and loved it . He never won anything but he love to make his cars and show off his work to everyone . I did have a large hand in it but you know how it is . I always enjoyed seeing him with his friends and all of there cars . Those where the days and where did they all go ? Congrats to you and your son and do not forget Mom . Great job .

Mike

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 07:01:30 am »
Ah yes, pine wood derby days!  Brings back memories.  Our first one was cut with a coping saw and weighted with bullets!  My son is 28 years old now.  Big time congratulations on the trophy.  Moments shared will never be forgotten.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 10:17:48 am »
way to go! congrats.

never heard about AWANA, just looked it up.

great program!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

marmoh

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 10:34:53 am »
Great job !!!  A memory to look back on.  I'm sure your son was thrilled (Mom and Dad too).  If more children today had something like that to do instead of all of the electronics, it would be a better world. 

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 10:40:05 am »
My sons used to enter the pine wood derby when they where in boy scouts. I stll have a couple of there cars I saved. Great memories. Congratulations on the trophy.  :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:20:53 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 11:24:40 am »
Congratulations to the whole family, It brings back some good memories of spending time helping my kids build cars and boats. Those memories are what lasts forever.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 11:23:01 pm »
Thanks everyone! It was a fun morning! As for next year well we will wait for it. The dad and daughter who won will not be back it was his last year and he and his son and three daughters won too many times to count.
Next year I will have both my son and last daughter, so a family competition that will go for three years until she has her last year by herself. I am looking at seven more cars, but who's counting?

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 10:20:45 am »
please tell me more about the pine derby, how does that work?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 10:50:59 am »
Marcellarius,  The most common pine wood derby is conducted by the Cub Scouts of America.  Boys buy a kit consisting of a block of wood, 4 wheels and 4 nails to act as axles.  The build and decorate their car (I believe it has to weigh 5 ounces).  On a given day, several cub scout troups get together to race their cars down a track.  They are carefully weighed in and then they race in heats.  Awards are given for the fastest cars, best paint job, most creative, etc.  It is a great way to work with your boy.  However, some fathers do all the work and don't let their boy touch it until the race.

SMF

Teknoromi