Author Topic: Shrink wrap  (Read 2015 times)

Chachi

Shrink wrap
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:26:47 am »
I have seen alot of pictures from different folks who have there products in shrink wrap of some kind, so My question is does anyone use this and where can I get it?

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Shrink wrap
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:42:02 pm »
You can buy actual shrink wrap at office supplies and craft stores but what you are probably seeing is a seal a meal type bag.  Food sealers are widely used to seal product other than food.  It is much more cost effective than shrink wrap.  Also, you have to use a heat gun or very hot blow dryer to seal shrink wrap and that can be detrimental to your wood or glue joints or even blister your finish.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:20:35 pm »
I have tried the sealing of my stuff and sweated when put in the sun, if used indoors it would probably be Ok, for puzzles I make cardboard trays to keep them in
Jimbo

ups34

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:19:34 pm »
Home Depot sells shrink wrap. I use it but have also had water problems when placed in the sun

Chachi

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:17:12 pm »
Kool I have one of those seal a meal products and never thought about using it hmmmm guess you learn something new everyday, Thanks for the answers yall

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:49:11 am »
The seal a meal things sweat as well it is the moister in the wood, try it if you wish and see what happens
Jimbo

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 06:39:05 am »
Plastic wrap is no good choice, it will always get wet inside. And oil will not dry.

for puzzles I make cardboard trays to keep them in

Hey Jimbo!
Can you show us how you make them? Sounds interesting.

regards
Torsten

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:22:52 am »
Sealing will cause sweating when the wood is put in the sun from my experiance.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Chachi

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 10:17:24 am »
Well the sites I vist sometimes have their work in what looks like shrink wrap so if it isn't shrink wrap or seal a meal then what could it be I like the idea because it allows a person to see the product and pick it up with out worry of loosing a piece (puzzles) but if it sweats well then thats a no brainer not going to use those.
  I will just stick to my org plan ziplock sandwich bags...

@ Jimbo can you post how you make them trays sounds like  something I could use myself.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 02:08:05 pm »
Try Saran Wrap....That clingy stuff used in the kitchen to cover bowls of food. At lest you can open it up to let the moisture out and re-wrap it again a bit later. Or you could poke a few small holes with a toothpick to let some air circulate a little. I would think using any of the clear plastic covering would work if the moisture had a place to escape through small holes.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 02:21:35 pm »
Saran wrap looks like crap.  Seal a meal costs 3-4 times as much as shrink wrap.  I use shrink wrap all the time and just poke 1-2 holes in inconspicuous places and have never had a sweating problem.

I got a shrink wrap machine off e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Impulse-Heat-Sealer-Manual-Bag-Sealer-Closer-NEW-/110629383433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2066d09

I get my shrink wrap here.
http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=4936&SubGroupID=4937&ParentGroupID=19036#4937
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 06:51:37 am »
I used to use bags with a cardstock backer.  Then I saw Jimbo's boxes.  Have totally converted to the cardboard box thing.  Since I cut many different sized puzzles, the bag thing only works so well to keep the pieces together.  The boxes are cut to size for each puzzle and work soooo much better.

tux_linux

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 07:29:28 am »
Clickedy on Jimbo's card boxes

@ dunk
do you oil you products? I suppose them to be well packed dry & out of sun.

regards
Torsten

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 11:10:18 am »
I do use oil.  Lemon Oil and or Danish Oil on all my puzzles and other projects.
I do not clear coat my puzzles.  I do usually clear coat my other projects though after I oil them like fretwork and names.  Some I do not oil at all just clear coat depends on the grain of the wood and how it speaks to me.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Chachi

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 08:41:46 pm »
Wow Now I would have never of thought of that idea for sure thanks all now I know what to do with mine.

SMF

Teknoromi