Author Topic: The Story of a 'Super Scroller'!  (Read 2574 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
The Story of a 'Super Scroller'!
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:42:21 pm »
Here is the story of one of our SUPER Members!

Graybeard has a grandson studying and training to be a U.S. Navy fighter pilot.

Early in December it is determined that Mic will finally receive his wings on January 21, 2011.
Being the helpful guy he is GrayBeard , in mid-December, contacts Mic's grandmother with the idea that they go together and give Mic a scrolled plaque with the Naval seal and "AVIATOR" at the bottom which is the official Naval designation for ALL pilots.
She says she will 'think about it'! (per usual)

The first week of January she calls and says "what did YOU do about the plaque?", to which he responds in the way any 'ex' would and says, "I am still waiting on your decision!"
So the decision is immediately made and GB contacts a fellow forum member who displays said plaques on his website. The wording is agreed upon and the 'Super Scroller' gets busy and starts on the plaque.

The SECOND week of January 'Super Scroller' gets plaque almost complete, takes part of it to work and is complimented by his coworkers on the great job and is asked if he 'used a laser'! 'Super Scroller' tries valiantly to keep his head from swelling so big he can't get through the door and re-examines the main section and decides to re-do that part. We are tough 'self critics'!

The THIRD week of January arrives. The plaque is completed, wrapped and packed and taken to be sent to Mic's grandmother so she can deliver it to him at the "Winging" ceremony on the 21st.

PANIC Time!!!
On Monday, January 17th the infamous 'plaque' was given to 'Super Scroller's' shipping department to go out that day. The plaque is sent out with the normal business shipping for the day and all seems well.
HOWEVER...since it is MLK Day the package is not handled and put on the plane by FedEx and is still in Bedford, Oregon and needs to be in St. Louis on Wednesday!

GrayBeard and 'Super Scroller' communicate frantically and furiously by email and GB determines that the package CAN be "re-routed" in shipment to be sent directly to Mic's home address and will arrive in time. BUT the re-routing MUST be handled by the shipper and GB cannot do this. So GB again emails 'Super Scroller' who then talks to his boss, who approves the extra charge for re-routing, and 'Super Scroller' takes his lunch hour to make a special trip to the FedEx office to arrange re-routing. (HOOOORRRRAH)

'Super Scroller' then emails GB that the package not only will make it to the "Winging" ceremony but it will be delivered to Mic's home on Thursday, January 20th by 3:00 p.m. so grandmother can pick it up and wrap it appropriately!

And that ladies and gentlemen is the way this scrolling family helps each other in time of need!

My sincere and heartfelt THANKS go to our 'Super Scroller'...
Bill Purcell!!!

And my 'proudest' CONGRATULATIONS to Lt.jg Michael J. Smith, jr., USN for achieving his lifelong dream!

Bill...you went way above and beyond the 'call of duty' on this one and I am proud to call you my friend!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: The Story of a 'Super Scroller'!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:23:33 am »
Great story GB! Kudos to Bill P!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:25:40 am by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:38:44 am »
Way to go Bill! Good story GB and a great gift!

Now about super scrollers outfit...?

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:44:13 am »
Thanks for sharing GB. Bill just showed us what this family is all about. Way to go Bill.
David.

Chachi

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:03 am »
<Cheering/Clapping Smiley here>......WTG Bill and GB that is a great story.

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 02:46:41 am »
wow - that's a big help Bill did gave you here! really a good story.

regards,
Torsten

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:01:36 am »
meet the supers!
super granddad and super scroller did the job!
absolute great story!
thanks for sharing
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 07:36:31 am »
OUTF***INGSTANDING!!!!!!!

Why can't the general public, as a whole, be more like this community?!  I've only been a part of this forum for a short time, but i have yet to see anyone putting any other members down or saying anything negative.  You ALL always give words of encouragement, whether it's someone like me who's just getting into scrolling, or someone who's obviously mastered their craft! 

Bill P., as a retired military member, I want to thank you for recognising the importance of what GrayBeard's grandson has accomplished!!  You went WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY above the call!!!  Awesome!

GB, I think you might want to change your signature remark!

Bill P

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:07:45 am »
G.B.,

I sincerely appreciate you sharing the story.  It's from this point on that I've written about 3 replies before going back and deleting them.  :)  I've used words like "but" and "however" then read it back and it sounded like either false modesty or that I was being ungrateful.

I've watched Paul jump in and create amazing patterns to help people.  Steve devotes probably over 100 hours a month either helping us, or giving us the opportunity to meet here as family and friends.  There are many others in this community who drop what they're doing and lend a hand, and for all of you, I am grateful.  You are all Super in my book.

I served in the Army in the late 70's and early 80's (not bad for only being 39 years old  ;) ) and, as I've said before, it's an honor to help acknowledge the achievements of our troops.

Thank you, G.B., and everyone who's said such kind things.  It's an honor to cyber-know all of you!

Now, let's go make some sawdust!

Bill

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 09:31:26 am »
wonderful story filled with wonderful people!

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 09:41:37 am »
and they say customer service is dead!  Not around here, it isn't.  Both parties deserve commendation, and GB, thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.  I'll take one positive over a dozen negative stories every day of the week.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

cherie

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:41:47 am »
Love it.  BILL YOUR AN AMAZING MAN!!

supershingler

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 10:14:44 am »
WHAT NO PICTURES?  GREAT JOB BILL AND GB.

I SURE IT WILL BE CHERISHED FOR A LONG TIME.

KENDALL

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 10:22:31 am »
RE: Pictures....

Talked to Mic's uncle yesterday and he 'promised' that he will take lots of pictures at the Ceremony and at the reception and the family party so in a week or so I should have some to share!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

marmoh

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:31:43 am »
(I've used words like "but" and "however" then read it back and it sounded like either false modesty or that I was being ungrateful. )   Bill this sentence tells what type of person you are...I would gladly call you friend.  
I was blessed the day I was given my saw, and then double blessed the day I found this site/forum.  I would not be as far along as I am without the help and advise from the people here.  I lift my cup of coffee to you all as a toast to friendship.
BILL P ......... HIP HIP HOORAY

SMF

Teknoromi