Author Topic: Routers-Help!!  (Read 1096 times)

JJammo1

Routers-Help!!
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:32:10 am »
I was left two routers when my Dad passed. A Craftsman mounted on a small metal router table and a Porter Cable in a kit case. Lots of bits too. I don't know how to use them ??? :-\. Any suggestions on reading or learning? I know I'm really missing out on what I can do with them. Any suggestion appreciated.

tux_linux

Re: Routers-Help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:53:59 am »
Basically it is all about slots and edges: Clickedy

Edges can be modified by using those bits with a bearing. Simple move the bearing along the edge. The table is good for small pieces and when edges are trimmed.

Slots are more precise and accurate when using a router. For this I recommend some kind of jig build to make for the specified slot or at least some "stoppers" and a guiding block.

I have a 3" x 1" x 30" wood (shelf) to use as a guide for all kind of machines. I have written all the distances between the tool and the stop, so I can easily mark all my positions. Some smaller stops do complete the set.

Try it on some plywood. Use a ear protection and be careful - this can ruin your day as it is a much more powerful tool than a scroll saw!

regards
Torsten

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:12:06 am »
Routers can be intimidating but when you learn to use them, a wonderful addition to your skill.  You have the best of both worlds with one mounted and one free hand.  You might also want to add a dremel in a router base or router table.  Piloted bits are the easiest to use.  They are the ones with the roller bearing at the bottom.  They keep you on your edge.  Try going to the hardware store to identify what bits you have.  There is usually a profile of what the bit will do pictured on the packaging.  Direction is the biggest thing to know when routing.  There are several good videos on line and a couple of pretty good books on the subject.  For now - mount a bit - grab a scrap piece of wood - and see what they will do.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:38:51 am »
These guys are the guru's of routing.
http://www.routerforums.com/
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 11:15:54 am »
This might help identify some of your bits :)

http://www.rockler.com/c/router-bits.cfm

Offline tas2181

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:08:56 am »
Another on-line source for information would be http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/

Joesawdust

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 11:08:47 pm »
Check out www.routerforums.com lots of good people and good info there

Greg

JJammo1

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 01:48:33 am »
Thanks to all for the info. Busy reading and watching videos. Looking forward to experimenting.

SMF

Teknoromi