Author Topic: Judy..need advise on spiral blades  (Read 1730 times)

marmoh

Judy..need advise on spiral blades
« on: January 17, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »
One of the biggest problems I have with the spiral is that it tears up the pattern.  Any suggestions ???
Maybe you could give some pointers on the best way to use a spiral ??  Suggestions from anyone will be appreciated.  I just thought that since Judy only uses spirals she would be the "expert".

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Judy..need advise on spiral blades
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:44:51 pm »
Hey Marion, I'm not Judy, But I do play her on TV! Just kidding. I'm sure she will be along shortly, but what I do is apply clear packing tape on top of the pattern. Make sure it is on tight. I use a plastic putty knife to burnish the tape and take out any air bubbles. This should help with your problem.
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:28:23 am »
japp, the tape will hold the pattern down, it's much more durable. You can make 1 layer or - if needed - even use 2-3 layers. Most times I apply the tape to the wood and the sticker on top.

regards,
Torsten

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:21:02 am »
Hi I am JUDY...the real thing ;)
NOT and expert by any means!!
You will pardon me for saying this I hope, but my first thought was that you have your blade in upside down.  I know from experience.  If you install the blade, then run your fingers lightly down it, it will be smooth sliding down but rough going up. 

Here is my tecnique.... I print my pattern out on 20 lb paper, with 120 sandpaper in an obital sander.
wipe the dust off (usually on the back of my pants) then cover the wood with stips of 2 inch wide duck painters tape. cut the pattern out roughly then smear glue stick all oiver the back and plave it onto the painters tape. And then drill the hole and go to cutting.  I don't use spray adhesive because it is messy and I don't find a need for package tape.

I use only one kind of spiral for everything and they usually last for a long time.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:44 am »
Well that was confusing.  Obviously my brain and my typing fingers are not always in sinc.
After printing the pattern,  I sand the boardwith 120 grit in my orbital sander.
I'm from North Dakota

Wildthang

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:08:39 pm »
This may seem like over kill to some of the more experienced people here, but this is what I do and it works for me.  I sand the wood if needed, cover the wood with a layer of packing tape, glue the pattern to the tape, allow the glue to dry, then cover with another layer of packing tape. I found that if I didn't allow the glue to dry it caused bubbles in the top layer of tape. This method works well for me and leaves not sticky residue on the wood.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:19:44 pm »
OK..I am not Judy either but I am a REAL thing!

My procedure follows in detail and I think it was 'mrsn' that wished she had followed it on her portrait!

1. Cut stock to size...3 pieces
2. Sand all pieces to at least 180 grit preferably 220!
3. Fully clean all three pieces using a paper towel and mineral spirits to remove all sanding residue
4. Stack the three pieces and carefully tape the edges with blue painter's tape to hold in place while cutting
5. Cover the face of the top piece with blue tape
6. Spray back of the pattern with 3M 77 spray adhesive and allow to dry for aprox. 30 seconds
7. Apply pattern to top piece carefully, no 'crinkles'!
8. Cover the pattern with clear packing tape and smooth it down carefully to eliminate any voids
9. Insert a FD New Spiral 2/0 blade, making sure the 'teeth' are pointing DOWN
10. Drill necessary 'pilot holes' (on some patterns there may be a bunch of them!)
11. Carefully and in my case slowly cut out the necessary areas, occasionally sanding the BACK side to remove the excess 'fuzzies'
12. CAREFULLY remove the pattern from the front, using MS if necessary.
13. CAREFULLY sand the face to 'touch up'
14. Decide which one of the three looks the best and proceed to finish for the 'recipient'!
15. Decide which you will keep for future sale and which you will add to the 'designer firewood' or keep as you decide.
(I have had a thought lately that I might 'reverse' one of the pieces of BB on the off chance that I might want to give or sell a 'matched' set' with opposite facing patterns.)

This procedure has 'saved my A$$' on more than one occasion!!! If the bottom one is salvageable it is a bonus, if not, you still have two to choose from or a replacement if something unforeseen happens to your 'good one'!

I was doing a portrait of a cat for my sister's birthday and wound up doing it three times because the first one had a major piece break out during final 'careful' sanding and the second one I dropped on the way to the finishing table and had several pieces break out!

An extra piece of BB is cheap when compared to having to re-cut the whole thing at the last damn minute and being harried and frustrated!

That's the way I do portraits and will continue to do them no matter how 'good' I think I have become!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:25:04 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 01:59:27 pm »
designer firewood

regards
Torsten

marmoh

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 02:07:11 pm »
WELL COLOR ME STUPID !!!!  I guess the previous times I used a spiral I lucked up, as I DID NOT know, there was a top and bottom on the spiral.  As I went out to the saw and ran my fingers up and down the blade I found I had it in upside down......lesson learned !!!!  Thank heavens for this site ... I learn from each and everyone of you and cannot thank you enough.  Can't wait for the weekend as it is turning cold and I can start chunking some of these things in the fire !!!!
PS..Judy and dgman you can fight it out on who is really who......

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 02:42:23 pm »
I think it will require a physical exam   :o
to see if dgman has the equipment to be me  ;D
I'm from North Dakota

marmoh

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 03:35:19 pm »
Tooooo funny !!!!

Mainewoods

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 04:16:51 pm »
After printing the pattern,  I sand the boardwith 120 grit in my orbital sander.

Thank you for clearing that up Judy!  I was about to throw my orbital sander away 'cuz I couldn't get it to print a thing!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 06:37:20 pm »
I think it will require a physical exam   :o
to see if dgman has the equipment to be me  ;D
OK Judy, Who's giving the physical? ::)
Dan In Southern California

marmoh

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 06:54:37 pm »
Since I started this, I feel like I should be the one giving the physical !!!   ;D :o

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 08:38:35 pm »
Hey Torsten that's what they call my wood turning when I make a bowl, designer fire wood, they say it burns a lot better
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi