Author Topic: Organizing patterns  (Read 5428 times)

northie66

Organizing patterns
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:44:33 pm »
How do you organize your patterns?  Are they on paper?  On the computer?  If they are on paper, do you have them in a file or a book or something?

cherie

Re: Organizing patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:59:40 pm »
I have plenty on file and transferred to disk.  As long as we have computers I will store them on a file on the computer itself, then after I get a bunch together, I categorize and burn to a disk.  I also change the color from black and white to red and white so I can see where I am cutting.  Hope this helps some.  Oh yeah, I also scan paper to the computer.

Joesawdust

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:32:31 pm »
I have mine in a folder on the computer and then separate folders as to the topic, then in those folders I have a folder for the ones I have printed, if I'm looking for a particular pattern I can see if I already have a copy in my filing cabinet in the shop. I usually go ahead print most of mine since I have a copier at work, lots cheaper than an inkjet printer. I also have them backed up on a portable hard drive. I have well over 5000 patterns that I have collected from various sources.

Greg

tonybell96

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:46:14 pm »
I have mine scanned to my computer and take folders and put them into binders.  Each binder is numbered 1/2/3 ect.  I then have a spreadsheet that keeps track of each pattern in each binder.  One of these days I plan on taking a picture of each project I finish and put it in the spreadsheet as well, sometimes I forget what is what..

EZgoing

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:01:39 pm »
Tonybell, you are much too organized for me... LOL

Most of mine are on my computer.  I print out what I want to make in the near future and put it-them in a 'to make' file folder.  Once made, I put a copy of it in a 'made' folder, with info of when, who for, what stain [used rarely], what finish was used etc...

Works for me so far...

Ez

m_r_dxn

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:16:49 am »
I have to admit that I'm not organized at all.  I have several files in different places on my computer, some of them containing multiple duplicates where I've saved "freebies" more than once.  I have my magazine collection and other books on my bookcase, and I have several stacks of printed patterns here and there around the house.  Usually these come from when i print a pattern that I'm planning to start cutting within a day or two, but then end up starting a different one instead:-\

I really need to do better! ::)

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 02:53:48 am »
I have lot and lots of patterns all in files in some sort of either alphabetical order or subject order.  No I'm organized you can bet that the pattern I'm looking for isn't filed and I can't find it.  LOL.

Marg  ;D
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 07:15:36 am »
I have a folder in my documents labeled patterns then inside that folder I have a sub folder labeled patterns printed. I also have a folder labeled scroll saw workshop just so I know where I got those patterns.

Offline deerwatcher76

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:17:03 am »
I have mine stored on a thumb drive and every so often scan them all to disc for backup.
JD

cornishpisky

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:42:42 pm »
I have a lot of patterns on the PC, a lot on disc, some on a external hard drive, a lot printed out and quite a few books, i try to categorize the patterns but my filing systems not great, when i scan a pattern from a book i always do an extra one and file it so i can scan that one next time to reduce the strain on the spine of the book, every so often i back up all the patterns on my PC and external drive to CD or DVD, i can rarely find what i'm looking for very quickly but going through a load of patterns isn't such a bad thing as i often find patterns i had forgotten about and i get ideas from looking at the patterns, works for me anyway...

Ian

joscrolls

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:01:54 pm »
We're supposed to organize them?????? ???

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 07:18:18 pm »
 I use a expanding file with pockets and have them labeled accordingly,

kp91

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 09:49:02 pm »
I picked up a lateral file cabinet off of craigslist.  I have all different kind of patterns stored in there and on the computer as well.  Things that are in the "to Do" list usually wind up in an expandable file folder.

Edgar

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 07:32:27 am »
I collect patterns and with over 40 000 of them the only way in to keep them on the computer and I use Microseoft Access to keep track of the author, where they came from, title and description/keyword. That way I can do a querry and locate the ones I want to cut.
Edgar

Marshall

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 11:58:20 am »
I have most of mine in the shop file cabinet on paper , I do have some CD ..........Marshall

SMF

Teknoromi