Author Topic: Opinions Please  (Read 2027 times)

cherie

Opinions Please
« on: January 16, 2011, 06:23:01 pm »
I have added some test photo's to the Light Box page on Facebook.  I am enclosing a link here.  I would like to know what color background looks ok with these ornaments.  I have been playing with my camera and Photoshop settings.  I am a simple point and shoot Dsler.  Nothing fancy, but it does the job needed.  (one day I will get my upgrade)  LOL
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=97958&id=1091796972&l=09334512f2

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Opinions Please
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:31:16 pm »
Hi, Cherie:
I haven't been on FB too much the last couple of days, but I saw these photos with your new light box and they are really beautiful.  Every detail shows!  I like the dark background better though. I think the ornament really stands out more.  If you were printing though or sending printed copies, I would go with the light background so that it wouldn't suck up your customer's ink. 

You really did a fantastic job shooting these!  I want to get one of those light boxes when I go to the states. :)

Keep up the great work!  Sheila :)

Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:10:56 pm »
Hey Cherie, I'm with Sheila, I like the dark background better. It really makes the ornament stand out. What kind of lighting are you using?
Dan In Southern California

cherie

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:49:35 pm »
I am beginning to think the same with the dark back ground.  I really like it.  However, there will be more photo's to choose from and this time with notes attached on what I did.  The are of the same Kokopelli piece, but it is an experiment.
Shelia, apparently we are going to try our best to make it to the Saratoga Springs show.  Jaun decided to make reservations.  So we are hoping finances get better before then.  It will be a 3 day drive for us and we have a place to stay in Columbus OH which would be our midway point.  I can't wait to finally meet you. 

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:52:48 pm »
I would go with the dark background, the photos look great.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:01:24 pm »
Wow, Cherie!  That is great news!  I will also be so glad to meet you!  It is a big deal for me to go too, as I haven't been able to go to a show in years!  I think it will be a blast though.  There are so many really nice people that I haven't seen in years that will be there and also many others that I haven't met yet.

I will keep my fingers crossed that you can make it! :D

Sheila

(Hi, MrsN!) :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Chachi

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 08:02:59 pm »
I Agree as well Light/white back round for dark wood black/flat black for the light wood such as the pictures you have posted.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:33:01 pm »
Cherie, a couple of thoughts: first contrasting colors work best to highlight your work. In this case light on dark.  Second, you can play around with Photoshop settings to tone down slightly the light intensity so the grain will show through a bit better.  Third, if you're not using the closeup setting on your camera, it will help you get close to the piece and still keep it in focus. 

I like your concept and work you're doing, it looks really good.
Bill   

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 01:35:27 am »
Very nice I like the dark back ground...Looks classy.
I'm from North Dakota

Dawie

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:07:11 am »
Hi Cherie I to like the darker background. The lighting really makes it look great.
David

malc

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 07:06:48 am »
Yep, dark.
Malc

bampasr

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 11:16:14 am »
I have to go with back.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 11:24:36 am »
Cherie, I agree that the dark background is the best.  Makes the light colored subject "pop" out.  I can tell you did some experimenting with exposure and contrast, and the last picture does a good job of making the beads stand out, but the ornament itself may be a bit overexposed.  In the first of the series, the beads are almost invisible and the ornament a bit underexposed.  Sometimes hard to find the right balance with both a dark and light subject.  Overall, they look good. 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

cherie

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 01:10:17 pm »
Thanks everyone.  This is definalty going to help.

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »
I agree with all the dark sentiments, I mean the black background. Very nice work Cherie!

SMF

Teknoromi