Author Topic: My first portrait  (Read 1124 times)

marmoh

My first portrait
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:55:51 pm »
To all that gave me advise before I started I want to say Thank You.  This is my sister and brother-in-law.  I am pleased with the way it turned out.  Below the mouth my sister (to the right side) is a blemish in the wood that I did not see when I laid out the pattern.  Will this come out when I oil it or is there some other way to lighten it ????  I've been working on this for a couple of days and my nerves are just about shot !!!! 

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: My first portrait
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:06:38 pm »
Marion, I am so proud of you! That is an excellent cutting and a wonderful pattern!
As far as the blemish, I don't know what you can do. Wood is never perfect and small blemishes are to be expected. Now, Remember When I said to use good wood when you stack cut? You would of had two or three to choose from! But I think the blemish will be OK. Don't worry about it.
Dan In Southern California

marmoh

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:18:48 pm »
Thanks Dan.  I made up my mind when cutting that I would NEVER use luan to stack with again.  It just didn't hold up and I spent the whole time wondering what was going on in the middle.  I'm proud of me too as I had to learn to use Gimp and then do the pattern and then cut.  My nerves are so shot I don't think I will do another one for awhile !!!  Thanks again for your support.

Chachi

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 09:37:31 pm »
Why not do another one look at this one you did such a fine job on it and you learned not use that kind of wood anymore so you see you got it before you know it you will be an old pro at it.

Dawie

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:47:18 am »
Great job Marion. If you did not tell me about the blemish I would not have noticed it at first. And like
dg says it's part of the wood. I never let it bother me to much as even the blemishes in the wood have their own charm.
David

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 02:49:01 am »
thats great!

Don't argue about the wood. Your cut is really good, you choose the right pattern (both faces are well  recognizable!). Nobody will see the blemish you did see.

regards,
Torsten

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:10:38 am »
GREAT JOB, Marion!!!  You did the pattern and cutting and did exceptionally well. 

Tim2beupinAz

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:28:53 am »
You did a great job on the cutting. I like it.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:05:34 am »
Well Marion you got me beat! I haven't even started to lean 'gimp'!

The cutting looks great and as far as the 'blemish'..."we look at the whole job by nature, pattern, cutting, wood, backing, etc."

Others look at "The Big Picture"! They tend to look at the faces where we tend to be 'self-critics'.

I can't see the blemish when I pull up the pic so I would sand, clean, and apply a clear finish with no stain, use a dark backer and an attractive frame.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

marmoh

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 10:12:50 am »
Do I apply lemon oil or just do a clear finish ?????

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 10:32:20 am »
For all my portraits, I simply dip them in Watco Danish Oil, Natural and let dry thoroughly.
Then as I learned from Dan (dgman) I use a piece of folded grocery bag to knock down any particles that may have adhered or grain that popped up. Wipe down with a 'tack cloth' and apply several LIGHT (can't emphasize that enough LIGHT) coats of MinWax spray lacquer, satin finish.

Go for it!

~~~GB~~~

p.s. Now you also understand why I do THREE at a time! One for me, one to sell or give and one to PITCH if I don't like it! Plywood is pretty cheap!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

marmoh

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 10:35:50 am »
GB...I concede to the fact that your advise/opinions are well worth listening to !!!!  The bottom one is good enough for me to have a "keepsake".  I will not be so "cheap" next time !!!! 

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 10:37:50 am »
Great job on the pattern and cutting.  It really looks nice.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 11:19:34 am »
looks very nice
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »
Your work is so very nice.  Just relax, take a deep breath and go for it again.  They will love it especially since it came from you!!!

SMF

Teknoromi