Author Topic: Router speed control on a scroll saw ?  (Read 5302 times)

Muzzlemike

Router speed control on a scroll saw ?
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:02:38 pm »
I have an old single speed scroll saw and was thinking if I would pick a router speed control up for my scroll saw it might make it more useful . Has anyone done this ? Will it work ?

Here is what I was thinking of getting .
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/power-accessories/router-speed-control-43060.html

Mike

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Router speed control on a scroll saw ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:19:35 pm »
Mike, The only thing it will do is burn up your motor, which might be a good thing cause you will have to get a new saw! But seriously, A router speed control will not work on a scroll saw motor, but it will burn it up.
Dan In Southern California

Muzzlemike

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:31:15 pm »
Thanks   

I am happy I asked .

I like to tell people that I have an old jig saw that can do some scroll work but It does good for a beginner that is just learning . Maybe some day I will aford to be able to grow up .

Mike

Chachi

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 12:47:50 am »
Maybe some day I will aford to be able to grow up .

I know how you feel I skrimed and saved till I could afford one but now sears has a Layaway and the Craftsman scroll sae is only like $125 plus taxes and everything but if you can afford the Layaway it is a good saw to start out with.
just my 25cents worth

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 03:01:22 am »
Maybe some day I will aford to be able to grow up.

you need a piggy bank aside of that saw  ;)

regards
Torsten

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:27:45 am »
A true AC motor will not work with a rheostat controller. Those motors that are called AC/DC will work. The AC/DC motors have brushes, a true AC motors do not use brushes .....Brushless motors are constructed in a reverse fashion from the traditional form. The rotor contains a permanent magnet and the stator has the conducting coil of wire. By the elimination of brushes, these motors offer reduced maintainance, no spark hazard, and better speed control. A universal motor, an AC motor with carbon brushes and a commutator, can easily be controlled with a rheostat or electronic voltage control. A 2-speed motor is unlikely to be a universal motor.   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:28:48 am »
I tried a speed control box on an old drill press once.  It did control the speed, but when you reduced the speed you also reduced the power of the motor.  In order to have enough power to drill, you had to increase the speed to a point to high for the bit.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi