Author Topic: Sanding  (Read 1134 times)

yankeebum2

Sanding
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:28:26 pm »
This might sound like a silly question.  Do you sand every piece before you scroll it? Sometimes i find myself skipping this step cause i want to get right into the scrolling. Is it something that should be done everytime? What is the pros and cons of sanding work piece before scrolling?
Thank you
Stephen

tux_linux

Re: Sanding
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:36:23 pm »
If the part you scroll will end up pretty small or fragile - yes it's easier to sand it first.

I have a board with a fine sanding paper taped on using double-faced tape - works really smart. Cleaning is done by slapping it against my leg or with the vac.
Such a board can also be seen at some of Steve's videos.

regards
Torsten

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 04:44:04 pm »
I at least give it a good surface sanding to about 100 grit before scrolling.  Yes, it takes a little longer to get rolling, but you will have a much easier time when you are finished.  It greatly reduces the risk of breaking pieces that are delicate.  It's a good practice to keep. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Bill P

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 04:48:33 pm »
I sand the edges and the bottom of board after I drill my holes, then I sand as I go (every time I change my blade) to get rid of the fuzzies.

Bill

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:13 pm »
As I 'cut' my blanks for future use I just take them from the saw to the sanding table and sand the 'good' side down with 220 grit and just lightly touch up the back sice to 'smooth' it down a bit.
Then I take my patterns and place them on top of the sanded and 'cleaned' blanks and store in a plastic tub until I'm ready to proceed.

I also keep a few 'blanks' sanded and ready to go in case i want to do a 'quick' job and don't have time to fool with the sanding and clean-up.
That way I always have wood ready to go.

For the pieces of hardwood that I use...I sand them to 180 as soon as i receive them so they are virtually ready to use. Just a quick swipe with my 'megamouse' with 220 and away I go!

Damn...as I read this I can't believe how efficient I have become in my old age!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

<on the computer a lot 'cause it's damn cold in the shop/garage...38? as i type!>
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:14:39 am by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:31:52 pm »
I always sand my blanks to finish grit before cutting, usually to 220 grit. Then when done, I use the same grit to sand off the fuzzies.
Dan In Southern California

yankeebum2

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:28:28 am »
Thanks for everyones input. It looks as though it would be a good idea to make that a habit rather than trying to shortcut it.
Stephen

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:59:27 am »
I sand first, also.  It just makes it easier in the end.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 07:21:33 am »
ditto, sand it first and the fuzzy's after sawing.
specially with fretwork this is great because you can break of small parts when sanding "heavy" after sawing

due to the fact that I sometimes make wood from logs, I have to sand it before sawing.
the bandsaw makes small rifle in the wood and I sand that down before sawing.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi