Author Topic: Ordered my New Ex-21  (Read 4008 times)

bluelucky

Ordered my New Ex-21
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:20:29 pm »
I just wanted to let everyone know that I talked to Dewalt and they told me that the 1/16"-1/8" front to back blade movement is SPEC..Well it's not square to me and if you try to cut a bowl you are actually cutting a compound cut..SO they are sending me a $622 refund for my 788 and I just went and ordered a Excaliber Ex-21...No more Dewalt for me..If you tell a company that their product has a flaw and they tell you that they won't fix it but to either live with it or get your money back. I got mine back and will NEVER have another one..My Dad warned me about Dewalt...

www.luckyscustomscrolling.com
Also on Facebook at " Lucky's Custom Scrolling"

Offline termite

• View Profile
Re: Ordered my New Ex-21
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:00:20 pm »
my brother-inlaw has been arguing with dewalt for a year about this . they say they have never had any complaints, & dont know what he is talking about. how long have you had your saw? i will show this to him tomorrow. thanks

bluelucky

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:43:39 pm »
my brother-inlaw has been arguing with dewalt for a year about this . they say they have never had any complaints, & dont know what he is talking about. how long have you had your saw? i will show this to him tomorrow. thanks

I had one for 6 months till it started knocking and they fixed it. The as soon as I started cuting a puzzle it started again. So they sent me a brand new one and it had this problem..I went around and around and even emailed Ricks website to BWD so they could see..

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:48:04 pm »
I questioned this some time ago.  And everyone said the front to back angle is "the nature of the beast".
How about the excaliber , is it square both ways??
I'm from North Dakota

Bill P

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:29:28 pm »
I had noticed a very small amount of forward/back movement on Ol' Yeller, but not enough to really bother me.  On my EX-30, there was a lot when I first got it, but I learned (from you folks) how to adjust it.  Now there is absolutely no front-to-back movement at all.

Bill

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 06:44:10 am »
Sorry to hear of your experience! Thank you for posting it. I was thinking of ordering a Dewalt very soon. I really like doing intricate portrait patterns, and I would think that much front-to-back movement would ruin the cuts. Guess I'll just have to keep saving up.

Paul

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 07:16:32 am »
I've had my EX21 for going on 6 years and have zero front to back problems.  To me, There was not enough price difference between the two saws not to go with the excalibur.  I have never regreted it.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 10:01:56 am »
I don't mean that there is front to back movement, I mean if you put a square on the blade to the table, it is perfectly square on the sides But it is not square front to back.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline bhenr99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 10:05:50 am »
Most saws have front to back movement. On some you can adjust them and some you can't DeWalt you can't. On the excalibur as told to me by Ray Seco their US rep it is impossible to have 0 front to back movement. You can adjust it has very little and so that it doesn't affect any cuts and very little movement.

boxmaker

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 10:20:03 am »
Good luck with your Ex-21, when I was looking at saws I narrowed it down to the Ex-21, the DW788 and the Eclipse. I ended up buying the Eclipse, it is pricey, but I don't regret it. What sold me, were two things, the true up and down vertical blade movement, and the fact that when a blade breaks the saw stops (immediately) . Here is a link if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.eclipsesaw.com/

Mark

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 11:24:40 am »
Sorry to hear of your experience! Thank you for posting it. I was thinking of ordering a Dewalt very soon. I really like doing intricate portrait patterns, and I would think that much front-to-back movement would ruin the cuts. Guess I'll just have to keep saving up.

Paul
A good number of members including myself use the DeWalt. For most, the front to back movement is not a problem. I can cut any pattern or project out there on my DeWalt without any restrictions, and most members here will say the same. For some, it is unacceptable, and that is fine, but for most of us, it is not a problem.
As for portrait patterns, Defiantly not a problem!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:30:29 am by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 11:55:39 am »
Holy Crap!!! I just checked out the eclipse and for that price I can live with the slanted blade.
I use strictly spiral blades so my work moves in all directions.  When stack cutting 3 or 4 layers of 1/4 material obviously the bottom one will be a just a hair different ....OH Well :D   Good discussion though.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 12:35:52 pm »
"To each, His own."

There are those who require total precision and then there are those who are willing to work within the limits of their tools AND capabilities.

As one who spent several years hanging 'wallpaper' I would say that you can go into any home built, older or brand new, high end or tract home and take a 4' level and check the 'plumb' of every 'corner' in the house and you will find very few that are totally on plumb and in most cases NOT totally 'square'.
Try explaining to a homeowner that the reason the 'stripes' on their wallcovering  don't look right in the corner is because the walls are not 'plumb' and 'square'!

That being said I feel that my DW788 may not be totally 'square' top to bottom of the stroke but it suits my purposes and my budget.
In the 8 months I have owned my DW I have not yet encountered any project that I had to throw out because of its limitations.

Further I would be curious as to the number of DW788's sold since its introduction compared to the number of Ex's during the same time frame.

Again, "To each his own"........

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 01:09:30 pm »
Kind of a feisty old fart aren't you GB :D ;D ;)
I am as square and plumb as I am every going to be ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 01:21:35 pm »
My usual Saturday morning, 'too damn cold to work in the shop', status.

I get upset when anyone makes flat out 'generalizations'!
Just like the phrase, "Isn't that just like a Man / Woman!"

Diversity is GOOD and if we were all from the same 'mold' LIFE would sure be BORING!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

p.s. also see my post about "Printers"!!!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi