Author Topic: Clock question  (Read 1050 times)

Bill P

Clock question
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:09:10 am »
Hey all you clock aficionados, I just got the ?reverse? clock movement to make my backwards clock.  I was going to make some crazy-looking hands to add to the non-conformist look, but I don?t know if the average movement can take the weight of wooden hands.  Anyone have experience with this?  Can it take the weight of ?? oak or BB?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline budprine

• View Profile
Re: Clock question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:46:42 am »
I'm no clock expert but I do understand Physics. 
Your question deals with the issue of torque.  How much torque can the clock movement give to moving hands.
The maximum torque will be needed (for a clock running backwards) at the three o'clock position.  Or depending how you number the clock its due right of the drive shaft.
At that point the torque is needed to raise the hand(s) upward. The amount needed is the product of the distance to the center of gravity of the hand TIMES the weight of the hand.  You might measure it as inch ounces (inches x ounces). 
Try this, estimate or weigh your proposed clock hand.  Guess about where the center of gravity is (Its near the center of the cross section AREA of the hand).  Calculate in inch ounces the torque needed.
Once you know that, make a trial hand from say some coat hanger wire. Make it long enough to hang the same amount of wood at that distance from the center.  Try it out.  Is the motor strong enough (Have sufficient torque) to lift the hand when it is due right of center.  If it is, you got it.
I know, lengthy answer but I can't explain it any better than that.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:54:51 am »
Bill, To make things simpler, I have seen plans for clocks that use a quarts movement with 1/4" hardwood hands. So I think you will be OK. If the hands are going to be long, use 1/8".
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:04:46 pm »
You will also have to make sure the 'shank' is long enough to allow for the thickness of the hands.

See the latest CWC issue for some more information!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Bill P

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 04:30:56 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I'll have the 3-day weekend to use all the info and see if I can do what I'd like to with this clock.

Merry Christmas!

Bill

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:25:35 pm »
Go to your suppliers and check it out, the normal quarts movement would not support the weight of heavy hands and would probably ruin the movement
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi