Author Topic: Hello from the uk  (Read 2366 times)

uddeholm

Hello from the uk
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:50:58 pm »
Hi I am very new to scrolling, and really enjoy steves web site. lots of great ideas and tips. scrolling doesn't seem as popular in the uk as it is in the states. but i am doing my best to spread the word. So its hello to everyone from a sunny, but chilly herne bay

bow152

Re: Hello from the uk
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:56:51 pm »
Hi I am from Scotland and also find it hard to find clubs or anything much to do with scrolling I am also just starting although I have been a joiner for 40 years lets hope that someone can point us in the right direction.
Robin (bow152)

Red Rat

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:38:28 am »
Hi .. Good to see another uk scroller on here. There seems to be a growing community now.

Used to go fossil hunting in Herne Bay as a child -- Many moons ago :)

Found an excellent contact for Olson blades and sanders -- Chap called Colin at Woodworks Craft Supplies in Wales www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk -- Tell him Mark Knight, the chap he met at the NEC, gave you his details ... He may or may not remember me :)

He's a very helpful fellow and they stock a wide range of Olson stuff -- That seems to be a sticking point over here in the UK - Getting hold of equipment and decent advice/info.

Any advice on getting manageable amounts of decent wood without having to buy the entire tree would be good too.

Regards
Mark

stevelees

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:33:52 am »
Hi I'm Steve also from the U.K.
I live at Eastwood in Nottingham.
This site is bringing us in the U.K. together
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:35:57 am by stevelees »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:28:39 am »
Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Glad you found us. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. Jump in and let the sawdust fly.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

michaelwarnock

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:54:45 am »
hi guys i am from northern ireland seem that their is very few people over here that use scroll saw as i find it hard to get blades and stupid things i thought would be stock items even from the shop i bought my saw from

garyw

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 03:04:41 pm »
hi glad im not the only one from the uk on here sw london you dont see much in the way of scrollsaw here in the uk you can get blades from hobbies they sell packs of 12 lots of diffent sizes too have made some of steves plans will try and post some pics when i get 5 mins talk to you soon gary

mouse

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 08:31:13 am »
Hi and welcome, I am Mick from East Yorkshire. There are quite a few of us on here, you will find it is a really friendly helpful place.

cornishpisky

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:10:52 am »
Hi, i'm in Cornwall, been scrolling for about 24 years, there are quite a lot of scrollers here in the UK but it's nowhere near as popular as in the USA, i've always had my blades from http://www.alwayshobbies.com/ and found them to be pretty good, thanks Mark for the link to Woodworks Craft Supplies i'll give Olsen blades a try, i find quality wood is always a problem to get hold of in the UK, just have to keep searching, anyway, scrollers are a friendly bunch and always willing to give help and advice, all you got to do is ask!

Happy Scrolling
                      Ian

stevelees

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 04:13:49 pm »
I get my blades from B&Q they have just 2 sizes but they are ok.
There made by Spear & Jackson witch are a good name, the Draper weren't so good.

windows20

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 02:59:55 pm »
hi all
   im andy from the valleys in south wales.
  been scrolling for about a year now.and got say love steves site.
     speak to you all soon
            andy

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 11:51:56 am »
Welcome everyone. That's the great thing about the Internet, even if you are the only one in your town/village you can find others who enjoy the hobby also.

dwg

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 02:50:15 am »
Hi to all sorry to hijack but I get my blades from http://www.niqua.de/index.htm the only  problems that I had to send payment in euros as at the time "Niqua" had no other payment other than cash as they supply the trade and when you phone you have to ask to find someone that speak English
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:06:12 am by dwg »

dwg

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 03:27:45 am »
Hi, i'm in Cornwall, been scrolling for about 24 years, there are quite a lot of scrollers here in the UK but it's nowhere near as popular as in the USA, i've always had my blades from http://www.alwayshobbies.com/ and found them to be pretty good, thanks Mark for the link to Woodworks Craft Supplies i'll give Olsen blades a try, i find quality wood is always a problem to get hold of in the UK, just have to keep searching, anyway, scrollers are a friendly bunch and always willing to give help and advice, all you got to do is ask!

Happy Scrolling
                      Ian
Hi to all the link above is to "Hobbies" which has been in Norfolk since the mid 1800 and is still trading it was started by a John Skinner abt 1850 and became a very large company in the town of East Dereham Norfolk by the 1900 it had shops all over the UK and some further and published a weekly booklet called "Hobbies Weekkly" it's demise came after the 2nd world war with the comming of radio and TV  :'(

mouse

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 04:06:48 am »
I get my blades from Mike at: http://www.mikesworkshop.com/
as recomended by Steve.Super blades, good price, shipping at cost takes about 5 days from order.
Mick

SMF

Teknoromi