Author Topic: Kreg Jig K3 master system  (Read 2106 times)

Offline termite

• View Profile
Kreg Jig K3 master system
« on: December 11, 2010, 04:33:20 pm »
does anyone have this? i'm thinking about getting one for putting picture frames together. tell
me your thoughts. thanks

ups34

Re: Kreg Jig K3 master system
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 05:50:28 pm »
I have one. I have had one for about 20 years. Started with the one of the first ones ever made. It is fantastic and could not do without one in my shop. There is an atachment for it to make smaller pocket holes. This is great for 1/2 in stock or picture frames. Without the adapter it makes a large picture frame. The new adapter makes a nice smaller frame. The adapter is $49.00. So your looking at close to $200.00 for everything. But I think it is money well spent.

Bill P

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 06:02:53 pm »
I bought one near the beginning of summer.  It's a great system to own and I'm glad I bought it.

Bill

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:23:11 pm »
I have had one for a couple of years now. Use it for all different types of projects. Never used for picture frames though. It works great.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 07:55:07 pm »
i have the Woodcraft catalog & it doesn't say anything about spacial adapter. i thought the k3
master system included everything. it is $139.00. do you know what it is called? thanks ups34

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 10:44:25 pm »
Maybe to late for this advice, but if you have a chance get the K3 rather than the K4.  The K4 is the newer edition, but most seem to prefer the K3.  See the forums on the Kreg website and you will understand.  The adapter reffered to replaces the normal drilling guide block with one  designed for 1/2 inch wood.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Dan

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 01:00:17 am »
Its a great addition to any shop. i have never made picture frames. I have made work benches and cabinets however. You can not go wrong. Look for sales at Rockler>

Dan

ups34

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 07:25:58 am »
Termite you are right. The Master System will do it. BUT... If you want to make pocket holes in 1/2 in stock or want to make picture frames 1 in wide. You will need the $50.00 adapter. That is what Bill the Diver was saying also. I use the adapter alot

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 07:38:44 am »
I love my K3 Jig but before you buy it - I saw a demo of the new porter cable pocket hole jig and I want one really bad.  They do sell them at woodcraft, I don't remember how much.  The demo was great and I am considering buying one.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 08:15:28 am »
Mine K3 has height adjustments that have been made to the drill guide block, which now allows the centering of a screw in materials from 1/2? to 1-1/2? thick in 1/8? increments.  8)

russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

ups34

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 01:40:25 pm »
Russ
you are right it will do 1/2 in stock. But the Micro pocket attachment lets you do 1 in wide stock and makes a smaller pocket. Look at the kreg site and see a video on the attachment. I have seen the Porter Cable jig. Looks like a nice system. $250.00 if you find a sale.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 07:02:12 pm »
what about sharpening drill bit. yesterday i talked to Woodcraft employee in Louisville,Ky. he said
drill bit cannot be sharpened.last night on Kreg site they said it could be sharpened at their
factory. whats the story? i am trying to find video on porter cable jig. no luck yet

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 10:17:25 pm »
The bit is a step bit, so a normal sharpener for twist bits won't do it.  They stay sharp a long time though and then can either be replaced or sharpened at the shop or by a professional.   i happen to be building a bookcase for my granddaughter right now, and used my k3 tonight assembling trim to surround the bottom and elevate the bottom shelf.  I will use it on other parts as well, although I still use other joinery such as biscuits, mortise and tenon, and dado's as well.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

ups34

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 06:55:29 am »
Termite
you will find the video on Woodcrafts web site. I am not sure is Kreg is still sharpening Bits. I go to the Wood Working Shows and you could bring your Dull bits and trade them for a sharpened bit. But ran out fast. Had to be there the first day of the show. I never did it but was told that by a person at the show.

SMF

Teknoromi