Author Topic: Lemon oil  (Read 6210 times)

Bill P

Re: Lemon oil
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 06:42:10 pm »
Only 2-3 years, Dunk.  That's not bad in the big scheme of things.

Bill

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 07:01:55 pm »
Following Steve's advice, I have tried lemon oil and I am pleased with the results.  Unless I plan on painting the project, I use lemon oil.  I am going to give BLO a try and see how that works for me.

Steven

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 07:44:11 pm »
My favorite is Watco Danish Oil followed closely by BLO - 40-60 mix with Mineral Spirits.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 09:08:52 am »
Lemon Oil, clear lacquer spray first coat. Then Krylon clear acrylic spray for final finish. Works great for me.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 03:55:06 pm »
As Steve said what ever suits you
Jimbo

ups34

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 05:59:03 pm »
Lemon Oil, clear lacquer spray first coat. Then Krylon clear acrylic spray for final finish. Works great for me.  8)
Why use 3 Different Products. Do you get a deeper shine?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 07:39:29 pm »
Lemon oil to bring out the grain of the wood. Lacquer first coat because the Krylon clear acrylic spray will not stick to the lemon oil. Krylon is cheaper than the Lacquer so I can add several coats to the desired shine for the finish coat. I usually got thru 2 to 3 cans of Kylon to 1 can Lacquer.  8)

Rightarm

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 06:15:26 pm »
   Hey Russ. do you shoot it with Acrylic Enamel, then Acrylic Lacquer? Dave 8)

ups34

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 06:21:58 pm »
I will give that a try. Sounds like what I need.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 10:03:36 pm »
Dave, Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Spray.  8)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon oil off topic -- Boiled Linseed Oil
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 11:02:20 pm »
Just my first posting to the forum. Taa Daa!
In the past many rifle stocks were finished with BLO.
Once the sanding was all done and any stain applied and sanded to remove whiskers raised by stain.
The wood was wiped down with a generous coat of oil and allowed to absorb as much as possible, dry spots hit again to get an even coating.
Allow twenty minutes or more so it penetrates the wood. then wipe down and let cure over night. Sand lightly to provide some "tooth" and remove any whiskers or anything else that shouldn't be on there.
Now comes the hard part.
Apply a light coat with a lint free rag or your bare hand, and rub with the grain all over creating enough friction to make your hand warm. (Don't worry it will wash off) There shouldn't be any wet oil when you are through rubbing, but to be sure polish with lint free cloth ( I like OLD T-shirt material ).
Next day do it again, and again until you achieve the finish desired. Some put on as high as 15 or more coats. A nice satin finish is the result and doesn't need anything else.
Years ago I built a BP rifle from a kit and used Beverly's Lin Speed and achieved a beautiful deep gloss finish after following the same procedure. If someone can tell me how to upload photos I'll try to add one of it.
It's a lot of work but other methods don't match the results, or the satisfaction. JMHO

Gabby    Yup living up to my name!
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 11:35:14 pm »
Hey Gabby, welcome to the forum. Thanks for all the info.
Why don't you go over to the introduction page and introduce yourself there.
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 04:31:48 am »
Gabby

That's a common thing in big furniture projects. But as we are most times facing small parts and often fragile parts, there is no way to work so much on the finish.

Also, consider the time spend on this finish. Some of us do sell, some of us (like me) does it mostly for charity. So the projects need to be finished in a valuable time.

regards
Torsten

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 09:05:18 am »
Hi Gabby, I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)

I can see that working on rifle stocks but we are talking about scroll saw projects. The procedure/application would definatly not work for fretwork.  8)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:06:49 am by Russ C »

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 11:48:48 am »
Welcome Gabby... I use a similar technique on scrollsaw bowls and boxes that don't have fretwork. I agree that the results are worth it :)

@ Dunk.. The advantage of using lemon oil is that it's alot cheaper and in some wood, like birdseye maple for example, it seems to pop the grain a little better. I've dipped projects in Lemon oil first, let it dry, then followed by BLO after that and it worked well.

I don't have a standard finishing technique that I use all the time. I pretty much let the wood and my mood dictate how I want to finish it. When I use a top coat I use lacquer in the colder months. I don't get good results with Krylon acrylic unless it's at least 65?. When the weather warms up I use it depending on the finish I want to achive.

SMF

Teknoromi