Author Topic: Finding Hardwoods  (Read 2252 times)

KYCustomScroller

Finding Hardwoods
« on: December 08, 2010, 08:43:00 am »
all i have in my area is a lowes and let me tell you there wood selection stinks bad.........any ideas where i can get some good hard woods like walnut etc...........

Bill P

Re: Finding Hardwoods
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:57:00 am »
I buy all mine from Heritage (http://www.heritagewood.com/index.html).  I've bought from people who are faster and cheaper, but always go back to Heritage because I can count on the quality.

Bill

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:04:25 am »
If there is no place locally, you're going to have to find a place on line.  There are several links on Steve's blog.  I've ordered from 2 or three of them and had no problems. 

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:33:10 am »
What part of Ky are you in?  I lived there years ago and bought hardwoods from Louisville Lumber & Millwork.
There are probably other sources as well.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:52:34 am »
Sloan's Woodshop is not far from you and they have an excellent selection as well as great service...

http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/

~~~GB~~~

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline skip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:08:23 pm »
take a ride in the country and look for sawmills and  ask them if they have a scrap wood  i have a big bundle of mixed hardwood  all free     SKIP

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 04:39:41 pm »
Sloan's will not be selling hardwood anymore. Just what they have left.
Pat B

bampasr

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 04:58:12 pm »
I buy my hardwood at rockler.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:03:48 pm »
Sloan's will not be selling hardwood anymore. Just what they have left.
Pat B

Wow Pat B!  I order most of my wood from Sloan's.  I had not heard that.  That is disappointing.  

Has anyone ordered hardwood from Rockler?  I noticed they are advertising their hardwood on Steve's site.  I have ordered their box of assorted cutoffs.  It is a crap shoot, but I seem to use every piece eventually.

I just noticed your post bampasr.  Do you like Rockler for hardwood?

Barry
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:05:50 pm by Barry »

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 11:46:32 pm »
I get a lot of my wood from Rockler. I love going to the store, they have a scrap/offcut/bargin bin that is really good for small treasures that I use for jewelry. In store they also have a good selection of boards less then 3 feet long, I like that, I don't want to buy huge pieces for small projects.
I have ordered from the website and gotten really good service. The box was at my house before I would have made it to the store.

I have also ordered from ebay. I got an assortment of 1/4" boards for a reasonable rate. The purchase was more to build my stock pile then for a project, so I was pleased with what I got.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 11:51:46 pm »
one more thing about rockler, a little off topic, I hope you forgive me...
my 3-year-old loves it. He calls it "the rock store that sells wood" he can't quite figure out why there are no rocks. He thinks the lumber room is quite cool and will look around until he finds the Padauk, then he finds the guy working and tells him "this wood is padauk, it's my favorite wood, uncle luke didn't use any in the tractor he made but that's ok, dee made a tractor from all padauk"
MrsN

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 12:37:13 am »
Here's a source I stumbled on not far from me!

woodnshop.com/HARDWOOD.htm

They seem to have everything under the sun!
I have ordered from then only once and received my wood in a few days. Good stuff and competitively priced.
When we have a less than frigid day I am going to take a ride and check the place in person.

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:43:22 am by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

KYCustomScroller

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 08:43:36 am »
What part of Ky are you in?  I lived there years ago and bought hardwoods from Louisville Lumber & Millwork.
There are probably other sources as well.
I live in North Central KY im about 45 miles from Louisville and about 60 Miles north of Lexington

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 09:31:18 am »
You can often get some good wood at a cabinet shop as they will often give you cutoffs or maybe sell some and they use a good quality.  I found a mill that produces hardwood flooring and can get scrap at 50 cents a bf or they have some lumber for sale.

UHMNL

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 01:01:14 pm »
Here is a good one:
http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com/
FD Mike

SMF

Teknoromi