Author Topic: Laminating plywood  (Read 834 times)

malc

Laminating plywood
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:16:25 pm »
I need to laminate two sheets of 1/4 inch ply to make up one 1/2 inch one. The sheets are about 1 foot square. I am worried about it warping and what glue to use any ideas?
Malc

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Laminating plywood
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 12:20:57 pm »
If it is indoor application I'd use titebond 11, if outdoors I'd use lll.  I'd place the ply together cross grain if it's square.  The interior plys should already be cross grain to begin with.  You should be fine.  A thin coat of glue and use cauls and lots of clamps.  Let ti cure for at least 24 hours prior to removing clamps.
This time of year no guarantees though on warping since most of us work in garages or basements..
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:22:50 pm »
What Dunk said is very good. I would add, make sure you put weight or clamps in the middle.

What are  you making that you have to glue the pieces together?

malc

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 04:31:35 am »
What Dunk said is very good. I would add, make sure you put weight or clamps in the middle.

What are  you making that you have to glue the pieces together?
I need a half inch piece for the wind wheel on a wooden clock I will be making as soon as the plans arrive. The thickest I can get from my supplier is three eighth. i will be starting a build progress thread as soon as I start. Then others can learn from my mistakes and hopefully from my eventual triumph!
Malc

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 06:14:13 am »
If humidity or temp might be a problem move the piece inside your house to dry over night. I also use weight instead of clamps. Use a brush to distribute the glue evenly over the area and use bricks etc to lay on top over the entire area. I use weights from an old weight bench.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi