Author Topic: On Buying a Scroll saw....Need advice....  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
On Buying a Scroll saw....Need advice....
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:53:01 am »
I have a chance to buy a scroll saw.  It was made in 2001 and is a Hegner Multimax 18 inch with foot control, magnigier with light and stand.  It has not been used for the past 6 years and only limited usage before that.  Could any of you offer me your advice on this?  Thanks in Advance....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: On Buying a Scroll saw....Need advice....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:41:11 am »
Hegner makes a great saw, and has for years.  With any used tool, check for damages caused by shipping or moving.  Put a blade in and slow the speed to its lowest setting.  Make sure that the blades goes straight up and down as far as left/right movement.  This will insure that the upper arm is aligned with the lower.  Make sure there isn't excessive back and forth movement as well, although most saws have some as a design element.  The saw should be close to vibration free at all speeds and operate with little noise.  If those things check out and the price is right, you've got a great tool.

And that's my 2 cents worth!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:57:35 am »
Sounds like professional advice and I do thank you.  The saw is located in California at present.  It is owned by a very dear friend that has medical problems at present as to why he wants to sell it.  Is there a thought as to approx. how much you would want to pay for it.  He assures me its in pretty much excellent condition.  Thanks again....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Bill P

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:56:02 pm »
Wow, I figured I'd pop onto Ebay and try to help you with a suggested price and found they range from $300 - $1,600.

Good luck, sir.

Bill

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:06:00 pm »
Get the model number then check ebay or just google it.  Hegner is a great saw.  Good luck
best regards,

Bud Prine

SMF

Teknoromi