Author Topic: Transfer patterns? (Sorry, new at this)  (Read 3457 times)

G-Man

Transfer patterns? (Sorry, new at this)
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:23:51 am »
How do I transfer patterns to the wood?  I did a search on "Pattern Transfer" but got no results.  Maybe I'm not searching the right term.

Offline tinker1

• View Profile
Re: Transfer patterns? (Sorry, new at this)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:57:21 am »
this should help if you are talking about tracing pattern on to the wood
http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/product/Pattern_Transfer_Paper

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:39:29 pm by tinker1 »

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:58:55 pm »
Most of us photocopy the pattern and apply the photocopy directly to the wood surface using spray adhesives.  I use 3m spray adhesive as it is relatively inexpensive.  I spray the back of the photocopy and wait about 30seconds to allow the glue to tack up a bit.
I then apply directly to my pre-sanded (to 220 grit) wood surface.  I then cover the entire pattern with clear packing tape.  This ensures the pattern wil not lift, and helps lubricate the saw blade to avoid burning.

Once I'm through cutting my project i use mineral spirits in a spray bottle and thoroughly cover the pieces/project.  Let it set for a few minutes and the pattern and tape will lift right off.  If there is any residue left behind I spritz it one more time and wipe off with an old t-shirt as it is lint free.

I then dip my finished project in either pure lemon oil or danish oil, blow off or wipe off excess and let dry.

That's how I do it now and for the past 10-12 years.  Hope it helps.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 01:00:52 pm »
I do it the way Dunk does, I only use a blowdryer to remove the pattern afterwards.
David

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 01:35:29 pm »
I do exactly what Dunk does.  If it is a really big pattern, I will use carbon paper.  Winfield sells it up to 4' X 8' sheets.

malc

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 01:53:23 pm »
Hi G-man, just as an aside, what is that plane you are holding.
Malc

G-Man

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 01:27:21 am »
Hi G-man, just as an aside, what is that plane you are holding.
Malc

It's a Parkzone Radian 2 Meter Powered Glider

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ4700

G-Man

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 01:28:48 am »
Thanks for all the tips!

Offline dbwoodworking

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 07:43:51 am »
Most of us photocopy the pattern and apply the photocopy directly to the wood surface using spray adhesives.  I use 3m spray adhesive as it is relatively inexpensive.  I spray the back of the photocopy and wait about 30seconds to allow the glue to tack up a bit.
I then apply directly to my pre-sanded (to 220 grit) wood surface.  I then cover the entire pattern with clear packing tape.  This ensures the pattern wil not lift, and helps lubricate the saw blade to avoid burning.

Once I'm through cutting my project i use mineral spirits in a spray bottle and thoroughly cover the pieces/project.  Let it set for a few minutes and the pattern and tape will lift right off.  If there is any residue left behind I spritz it one more time and wipe off with an old t-shirt as it is lint free.

I then dip my finished project in either pure lemon oil or danish oil, blow off or wipe off excess and let dry.

That's how I do it now and for the past 10-12 years.  Hope it helps.

I do basically the same thing but in a different order and one additional item.

Once the wood is prepared, I put on shelf paper which when done cutting, comes right off with very little if any residue, i.e., all that is require is very light sanding, no more than normal to get rid of the cutting marks.  I get 50 sq ft (20" x 30') for around $10.00 at Lowes/Home Depot.  (Steve Good uses 8-1/2" x 11" sheets that he get from Sloan's --- shelf paper is 2 to 3 times cheaper depending on the quanty and even without shipping).

I then cover everything with packing tape and finally, the pattern goes on top.  (I also use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive).  I put the pattern on top of the tape because I have had the tape trapping the saw dust and making thing hard to see, especially walnut (but that is what I've found, others may not have had that problem).

I finish with Watco Oil (danish oil).

HTH, Joe

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 09:02:46 am »
on hardwoods i put blue painters tape onto the wood stick my pattern to this. when finished i
pull tape off, ready to sand fuzzies, and finish. on bb i use sloans sticky sheets, have no problem with them. will look into shelf liner paper. thanks

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 09:44:22 am »
Oh Thank you Termite!! I thought every one would think I was a ditz for doing it the way I do.  I hate spray adhesive. Here is how I do it..
Sand the board. cover with blue painters tape. then smear the back of the paper pattern with glue stick and stick it to the board.  cut and when done take the tape off . No residue.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 10:03:07 am »
I tried it that way,  I ended up with more glue stick on my hands and it didn't seem to hold the paper in place in real thin areas.  Maybe it was the brand of glue stick I was using.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 10:08:38 am »
As you can see G-Man, there are many ways to do it. Find what works for you and get out there and make some saw dust!
Dan In Southern California

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 11:03:52 am »
i use the painters tape as well it also helps lubricate the blade in thicker wood
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

G-Man

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 11:17:17 am »
As you can see G-Man, there are many ways to do it. Find what works for you and get out there and make some saw dust!

I'll make some dust as soon as my blades arrive!   ;D

SMF

Teknoromi