Author Topic: Another Question - Power Tools  (Read 5275 times)

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Another Question - Power Tools
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 07:06:31 am »
Becky,  The mouse sander is a nice tool, great for finishing work on furniture and such because you can get into the corners but the cost of the sandpaper adds up.  You might consider a 1/4 sheet sander.  The are very inexpensive and you do not have to buy special sandpaper for them.  You can cut regular sheets into quarters, hence the name.  I actually have three of them and keep different grits on them so I just put one down and pick up the next.  A random orbital sander is a great tool, I have one also, but you have to buy the paper made for them.  If you do a lot of sanding - it all adds up.

Offline newtoscroll

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 07:36:41 am »
I was lucky and visited a Black and Decker outlet shop that was going out of business.  They were liquidating there 40 dollar orbital 1/4 sheet sanders for 9.99 each.  I bought four and use them all the time will 100 grit, 150 grit, 220 grit, and a spare.  This lets me be able to finish projects without changing sandpaper.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 09:17:53 am »
if you resawed your wood, maybe you could make a deal with your coworker. scroll something for him
or pay him a small fee to plane your wood. i did that once when i didn't have a planer. we also did that with a cabinet shop when we were making waterbeds. they had a three foot wide sander. we bought our own belts and when he had slack time he would let us run our wood. worked out pretty
good. of course that was a long time ago

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 09:39:20 am »
Becky..I have both the mouse sander and the orbital sander.  The mouse sander I use in the house for very little jobs.  But I couldn't get along without my orbital sander.  Mine is a cheap one from Harbor Freight. About $20.00.
I have no use for a table saw but I use my big band saw all the time.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 11:13:13 am »
I have a small shop as well but couldn't imagine it without my table saw, resawing, straight cuts, ripping you can take just about any piece of wood and cut it for scrolling - just to muddy the waters  ;)  Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Rightarm

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 11:20:48 am »
    Becky. If you get a table saw, you can make different jigs, crosscut, miter, saddle, featherboards, to do different things. Theres plenty of places on the web that has free patterns that you can make yourself, with scrap wood laying around. It's probably the most used tool in my shop. Dave 8)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 11:58:37 am »
My previously mentioned co-worker tody was steering me toward a Proxxon saw.  It is small.  But then I read in the description that the max ripping length was 4.25" (yes, inches).  So I don't think that will do!  So I am leaning toward something like Julie mentioned - larger but you can sort of fold it up and move it to the side.

Becky,
I think that you may have misread the discription of the Proxxon table saw. I'm sure that it means ripping HEIGHT not LENGTH.  In other words, you can rip a board as long as nessary but the blade won't cut deeper than 4-1/4" so you can't cut through a 6" x 6" block for example or resaw a board of 5" width.
I don't know anything about Proxxon saws but most are designed to cross cut and/or rip almost any length nessary.

I may be wrong for the second time in my life though. ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Becky

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 12:05:50 am »
I can see that I am going to have to look into a new sander!  Yes, the silly little sheets for the mouse sander are indeed expensive compared to sheets of paper.  That's probably a good move for the long run.  The mouse was the first tool in my shop.

My coworker is happy to resaw and plane for me.  The trouble is that he does it in his own good time.  I can't really complain as he is kind enough to do me the favor.  I think it is just how I can't have the wood right when I want it that puts the planer on my list.  I have given him a couple of things, but I think he mostly likes just to encourage me in my woodworking and to give me advice about things when I have questions.

FWIW, for two days now I am thinking table saw, lol.  The Proxxon saw only has a cut depth of 1" so I think I am reading the ripping thing right.  It might be the width of the wood or it might be the length but either one could be a problem.

emtdonald

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 11:15:58 pm »
Becki,
I have the skil table saw from lowes 120$ i think. it comes with a stand. its great for small projects. i use a 60 tooth blade so it cuts cleaner. 

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 08:23:51 pm »
Becky for sure do that look see with your fried and his tools.  You'll be amazed the amount of wood chips the planer produces.  That wood you are removing turns to chips and you'll need some way to contain it and clean it up.
Doing scroll saw work I don't think you ever have enough sanding capability.  A spindle sander you might consider.  There is just too many different ways to go.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Becky

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 11:47:17 pm »
My romp through power tool Candyland is  probably going to be next Wednesday.  I'll be taking a half day of vacation for this but it sounds like fun and a half day of vacation right before Thanksgiving isn't a bad thing either.   :)

I should be able to try a table saw, a band saw, a router and a planer.  I have never used any of these tools.  I admit I am a little intimidated by a couple of them - the table saw and the band saw.  But I trust this guy and he won't let me start without proper instruction first.

FWIW, I am still thinking the table saw is probably the way to go.  I think you guys really set me straight on that one.  But I still have to see how the whole table saw experience goes.  I have no reason to be intimidated except for the stories I have heard about bad injuries.  If you have any suggestions on questions to ask on how to avoid injuries, I'd be glad to have them going in.

I'll let you know how it all goes.   :)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 06:08:33 am »
Becky, A table saw is an intimidating tool.  I know many people with missing fingers.  (All guys).  I still have 10.  Here's why.  I read my owners manual.  I pay attention to what I am doing.  I follow the safey rules.  If I feel my stock pushing back, there's a warp or some reason it's pushing back and I stop the saw.  I don't reach up to get my board until the blade stops spinning.  I use a push stick.
In all these years, my only injury was a bruise caused by a piece kicking back and hitting me in the arm.  Take your time and learn how to use your tool and there is no reason to be afraid.  Just respect what it is and the power it has to cause injury.

Becky

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 12:36:41 am »
Good advice, Julie.  I imagine I will be careful to the point of paranoia at first.  Shoot, I was intimidated by my drill press when I first bought it.  I didn't have any exposure to power tools as a kid - maybe that's a part of it.  But I definitely plan to take safety very seriously.  I think getting a chance to use one next week (with supervision) will probably be very helpful.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 12:40:04 am »
confession time.....I am afraid of the table saw and the circular saw.  Don't use either one unless I absolutly HAVE to.
I'm from North Dakota

Rightarm

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 12:52:43 am »
    Becky. I buy a mag. called Wood, by Better Homes & Gardens. They have great patterns for making jigs for different types of power tools. I just made a feather board, miter & crosscut sleds for my tablesaw. They work great. They have alot of good ideas, to make your woodworking safe. Dave 8)

SMF

Teknoromi