Author Topic: Another Question - Power Tools  (Read 5278 times)

Becky

Another Question - Power Tools
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:55 pm »
I know I will see some cash coming my way this Christmas and probably a gift card or two.  My little shop can use a lot of things.  All I have is my saw, drill press and 4" belt sander.  Oh and I have a jigsaw for cutting wood to length.  I don't have much space so whatever I get has to be really useful.

My top two thoughts are a thickness planer or a small table saw.  I'm leaning toward the thickness planer because I never seem to have wood the thickness that I want.  I have many nice boards from Woodcraft - butternut, Honduran mahogany, walnut etc. but they are all 1" thick and I never seem to need that.  While it seems a shame to plane it down and waste so much, I am afraid I will never use it if I don't.

Table saws make me a little nervous so if I get one, it'll be small like a table/benchtop model.  It would be nice to be able to make a good, clean edge but I *can* cut on the scrollsaw and then sand.  Not perfectly flat like a table saw would do though.

You guys know a lot more about this stuff than I do.  What would you advise?  And what brands? 

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
Re: Another Question - Power Tools
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:19:24 pm »
Becky, I have a similar problem to yours..not much room and the need for thinner boards than I have and can readily find.  I do have a Grizzly 10" table saw that I bought from the last owner of my home, but frankly, I've never used it for scroll saw projects.  I have a 4" belt sander and a couple of orbital sanders, a small and a large drill press, and my trusty Dremel.  I've wondered about getting a band saw so I could resaw some of the larger boards down to size, and then I'd need a planer to go with it.  Not sure I have room for a band saw. Maybe sell the Grizzley??  I'd also like to get a mop sander.

Hopefully some of the other members have some great ideas, suggestions.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 12:17:10 am »
Well Becky, only you know what you need or want, but if I were in you boat, I would get a table saw before a thickness planer. My first woodworking tool was a table saw and can't see being without one. the next tool I would recommend is a random orbital sander. Every single project I make sees The ROS. Then the thickness planer. I would be lost without my thickness planer, but I could not be without a table saw!
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 01:25:55 am »
Becky if you are going to cut wood you need a bench saw and you need a planer this will give you boards to the thickness that you need and the size, most home handy person tools now are compact and easy to store, so it is up to you on what you choose
Jimbo

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 05:09:31 am »
for little over a 1/2 year I have a G?de gbs 315 band saw and I like it very much.
I use it to create usable 1/2" pieces out of branches or old 2x4,
wouldn't mis it again

one thing I would like to have because I think it's useful is a trim saw, but as you Becky, limited space.......
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 07:17:50 am »
Becky,  Let me caution you on getting a table saw that is too small.  There are many models of "benchtop" table saws out there and they are handy but not very user friendly and the small table makes some things a little difficult.  The next step up is a portable table saw.  They have collapsible legs and wheels so it can be stood up on end to conserve room.  The table on these models is far more condusive to good cuts and comfortably using a table saw.  If you are leary of table saws, the small versions will only make you more so.  As with any tool, learn your users manual and familiarize yourself with your tool and you will find your reservations will subside with familiarity.

malc

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 07:28:51 am »
I recently went on an orgy of power tool buying, having a retirement job with B&Q helps! Permanently sited are my scroll saw, one inch belt sander, band saw and drill press. My router table, table saw and thicknesser have to share a space on my trusty workmate.
Malc

Rightarm

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:08:46 pm »
    Becky. Like yourself I really don't have the room, [unless I could talk Chris into parking her vehicle outside]. But I bought a tablesaw, I resaw my lumber, then I used a belt sander to bring the wood down to the size I needed. I did this until I could afford a planer. But for 1/4" the planer really is of no use, so I fall back on the belt sander. Hope this helps. Dave 8)

Becky

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:30:45 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.  I am going to have to think about this some more.  I was talking with a co-worker today who does woodworking - more into furniture and such.  But he has done some favors for me when I don't have the equipment.  Today he said I should come on over one day (maybe Thanksgiving week) and he will show me how to use his variety of tools - table saw, band saw, router table and planer.  I have never used any of those tools before.  Maybe that experience will help me decide.

Meanwhile, I do have a mouse sander, Dan.  I forgot to mention that in my list.  It seems to do a good job of getting wood ready for the scroll saw.  I'm not sure that it qualifies as an ROS.  Is there a significant difference?

I didn't know about the table saws that fold up and put away.  That sounds like a definite possibility if I go that way.  My shop space is 20' by 9' which seemed pretty big at first but seems to get smaller on a daily basis!

LOL, Dave, I am starting to think about clearing out a space in my garage for more tool space.   :)  At least I could use it when the weather is halfway decent.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 12:10:19 am »
Becky, I don't know what a mouse sander is, but if it does the job thats fine. As for my planer, I have a DeWalt 733, which is not available anymore. It has been replaced with the 734. The 734 is basically the same machine except it has three disposable, reversible blades, the 733 has two blades that can be resharpened. My planer will plane down to 1/8". I would recommend the DeWalt DW734.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 12:38:34 am »
Dave, you say you have a table saw, and that you resaw your lumber.  How do you do that with a table saw?  I must be missing something about how to use my table saw.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 12:57:40 am »
Re sawing means to re saw lumber that has all ready been cut to a specific size, like cutting 2x4 to 1x4.
I have a lot of demo. timber given to me and that has to be re sawed to the size I require, then I plane it to the exact thickness
Jimbo 

Rightarm

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 06:50:57 pm »
    Just like Jimbo said. I'll cut whatever to length. Set my rip fence, & feather board, slice what I need. If my table saw doesn't cut completely through, I'll use my hand saw to finish the rough cut. I cut everything a little fat, then cut and sand to the desired size I need. If the piece is thinner than a 1/4", I'll use my belt sander to get the thickness as close as I can. Works for me. Dave 8)

boxmaker

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 07:39:54 pm »
Becky, It is a tough decision, but for me my first big tool was a table saw, so I would have to say, a table saw. And if you could, try it out first. I have a contractors saw, I understand you have restricted space, but try the saw out if possible, a friend of mine has an old sears craftsmen bench table saw and it makes me nervous when I am at his shop and we have to use it. Just make sure it is a solid saw. (if you decide on a table saw). My next tool for me was the tougher decision, a band saw or planer. You are right you can plane down the thick boards, but it always bothered me knowing if I only had a band saw I would not be throwing away another board, because you could get two useful boards out of one, by re-sawing it on the band saw then planing it. I bought a band saw first, then I bought the planer. I know I have rambled a bit, but It is a tough decision, good luck and be safe.

Mark

Becky

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 11:06:18 pm »
The Mouse sander is a Black & Decker product.  Just a power hand sander.  Maybe I will spring for a cheap ROS from Harbor Freight and see if it is an improvement.  If nothing else, I could put a different grit on each one and not have to change the sandpaper so often!

I've been thinking about it more and now have a leaning toward the table saw.  The planer would address the current need to reduce a lot of 1" thick wood into something I would be more likely to use.  But I looked through Steve's catalog tonight and it brought home to me how a table saw would enable me to make a lot more projects much more easily than I can make now.

My previously mentioned co-worker tody was steering me toward a Proxxon saw.  It is small.  But then I read in the description that the max ripping length was 4.25" (yes, inches).  So I don't think that will do!  So I am leaning toward something like Julie mentioned - larger but you can sort of fold it up and move it to the side.

Who knows?  Tomorrow I might get to thinking that I simply *must* have a spindle sander or something, lol.  Well, I have plenty of time to think about it.  I am very grateful for your feedback.  You're helping me clarify my thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:08:17 pm by Becky »

SMF

Teknoromi